Negative Voltage Regulation in Transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of negative voltage regulation in transformers. It is explained that a leading power factor can result in negative power factor, and one possible explanation is that capacitance across the secondary terminal cancels out the leakage reactance on the primary side, resulting in a higher primary and secondary voltage. The conversation also references a Wikipedia article and a blog post for further information and clarification on related calculations.
QwertyXP
How can a transformer have negative voltage regulation?
A few texts state that a leading power factor can give rise to negative power factor, but I have not been able to figure out how this is possible.

One vague explanation in my mind is that capacitance across the secondary terminal will somehow cancel out the leakage reactance on the primary side, thus resulting in a higher primary voltage and hence higher secondary voltage as well.

Can somebody please describe more accurately.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think I've somewhat become used to the idea of negative voltage regulation after going through lots of articles and also drawing the phasor diagram myself. The main issue seems to be resolved now.

However, I still have confusions as far as the related calculations are concerned. For example, if you have a look at the following link:
http://yourelectrichome.blogspot.com/2011/07/voltage-regulation-of-transformer.html

According to example 1, full load current = KVA rating/secondary voltage specified in the question statement. Thus in this case, he has assumed 125V to be the full load voltage. However, in another place (part ii), he considers 125V to be the no load voltage while calculating the secondary terminal voltage.

Is this a mistake, or did he make this assumption because the value of current would not differ by too much even if no load voltage were used in the calculation?

Related to Negative Voltage Regulation in Transformer

1. What is negative voltage regulation in transformers?

Negative voltage regulation in transformers refers to the phenomenon in which the output voltage of a transformer decreases as the load on the transformer increases.

2. Why does negative voltage regulation occur in transformers?

Negative voltage regulation occurs in transformers due to the inherent resistance and leakage inductance of the transformer's windings. As the load on the transformer increases, the voltage drop across these elements also increases, leading to a decrease in the output voltage.

3. How is negative voltage regulation measured in transformers?

Negative voltage regulation is measured by calculating the percentage change in output voltage for a given change in load current. This is known as the regulation percentage and is typically expressed as a negative value for transformers with negative voltage regulation.

4. What are the effects of negative voltage regulation in transformers?

The main effect of negative voltage regulation in transformers is a decrease in the output voltage, which can lead to decreased performance and efficiency in electrical systems. It can also cause issues with voltage-sensitive equipment, such as electronics, that require a stable input voltage.

5. How can negative voltage regulation be mitigated in transformers?

Negative voltage regulation can be mitigated in transformers by using materials with lower resistance and leakage inductance for the transformer windings, as well as implementing voltage regulation techniques such as tap changing or voltage regulators. Proper maintenance and monitoring of the transformer can also help prevent or reduce the effects of negative voltage regulation.