Neon Ions Acceleration in Tube w/20kN/C Field

In summary, a section of an advertising sign contains a tube filled with neon gas and electrodes at both ends. With a uniform electric field of 20 kN/C set up, the singly ionized neon ions, each with a mass of 3.35 x 10-26kg, experience a large acceleration. Despite this, the ions do not reach relativistic speeds and are commonly used in advertising signs. However, electrons in cathode ray tubes, such as in old TV sets, can reach speeds of up to 30% of the speed of light.
antiderivativ
A section of an advertising sign consists of a long tube filled with neon gas having electrodes inside at both ends. A uniform electric field of 20 kN/C is set up between the electrodes, and neon ions accelerate along the length of the tube. Given that the ions each have a mass of 3.35 X 10-26kg and are singly ionized, determine their acceleration.

E = 2000 N/C
m = 3.35 x 10-26kg

I'd like to ask if my answer below makes sense, but I have a feeling that my acceleration is much to high! Please let me know if I am incorrect and why.

8-1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org

20 kN/C is 20 000 N/C, not 2000. Aside from that, your work is correct: ions in advertising signs really do experience huge accelerations. If you plug in a reasonable value for the length of the tube, you'll see that despite the large acceleration, the neon ions don't even reach relativistic speeds. (Electrons in cathode ray tubes, however, do; those in old TV sets reach approx. 30% the speed of light.)

Thanks! <3
cute-little-bunny-rabbit1.jpg

FAQ: Neon Ions Acceleration in Tube w/20kN/C Field

1. What is Neon Ion Acceleration?

Neon ion acceleration is the process of increasing the speed of ions in a neon gas-filled tube using an electric field.

2. How does the 20kN/C field affect the acceleration of neon ions?

The 20kN/C field creates a strong electric field that accelerates the neon ions by applying a force to them. The higher the electric field, the greater the acceleration of the ions.

3. What is the purpose of accelerating neon ions in a tube?

Accelerating neon ions in a tube has various purposes, including studying the behavior of ions in an electric field, creating plasma for research or industrial applications, and producing ion beams for medical treatments.

4. How is the acceleration of neon ions in a tube controlled?

The acceleration of neon ions in a tube can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electric field, changing the pressure of the neon gas, and altering the length of the tube.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with Neon Ion Acceleration?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when working with Neon Ion Acceleration. The high voltage used to create the electric field can be dangerous, and precautions must be taken to prevent electrical shocks. Additionally, the use of neon gas can create a risk of asphyxiation if proper ventilation is not provided.