Nested radicals and its convergence

In summary, the conversation discusses a sequence involving nested radicals and the attempt to show its convergence. The suggested method is to use the formula a_{n + 1} = \sqrt{1 + a_n} and to find the limit of the sequence as n approaches infinity. The solution involves solving a quadratic equation, and the final answer is \frac{1}{2}(\sqrt(5) + 1).
flyingpig

Homework Statement

This is supposed to be really easy, but I don't think my answer is good

Consider this

[tex]\sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1 + ...}}}[/tex]

I was hinted that [tex]a_{n + 1} = \sqrt{1 + a_n}[/tex] for all n ≥ 0 and I am supposed to show that the sequence convergees

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I suppose to use [tex]a_{n +1}[/tex] converges or [tex]a_n[/tex]?

Since the nested radicals go on to infinity, wouldn't it be better to write it as

[tex]a_n = \sqrt{1 + a_n}[/tex]

So that

[tex]a^2 _n = 1 + a_n[/tex]

We get a quadratic and solve (on Maple) we get

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt(5) + 1)[/tex]

I rejected negative root because there is no way a negative root can occur in this sequence (we are just adding positive numbers and rooting it (I hope that's a word))

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

This is supposed to be really easy, but I don't think my answer is good

Consider this

[tex]\sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1 + ...}}}[/tex]

I was hinted that [tex]a_{n + 1} = \sqrt{1 + a_n}[/tex] for all n ≥ 0 and I am supposed to show that the sequence convergees

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I suppose to use [tex]a_{n +1}[/tex] converges or [tex]a_n[/tex]?
Those are just different numberings for the same sequence if one converge the other converges to the same thing.

Since the nested radicals go on to infinity, wouldn't it be better to write it as

[tex]a_n = \sqrt{1 + a_n}[/tex]
No, that's not true for any finite value of n. What is true is that if [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n= a[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt{1+ a_n}= \sqrt{1+ \lim_{n\to\infty} a_n}= \sqrt{1+ a}[/itex].

So that

[tex]a^2 _n = 1 + a_n[/tex]
Okay, except that that it should be the value of the limit, a, not [itex]a_n[/itex]

We get a quadratic and solve (on Maple) we get

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt(5) + 1)[/tex]

I rejected negative root because there is no way a negative root can occur in this sequence (we are just adding positive numbers and rooting it (I hope that's a word))
Aw, c'mon! You use Maple to solve a quadratic equation? (Yes, that is the correct limit.)

FAQ: Nested radicals and its convergence

1. What are nested radicals?

Nested radicals are expressions in mathematics that involve taking the square root (or other roots) of a number multiple times within the same expression. They are often represented by a series of nested square root symbols.

2. How do you determine if a nested radical converges?

To determine if a nested radical converges, you can use the Cauchy condensation test. This involves simplifying the nested radical into a series and then checking if the series converges or diverges using known techniques.

3. Can nested radicals converge to a negative number?

No, nested radicals can only converge to non-negative numbers. This is because taking the square root (or other roots) of a negative number results in a complex number, which is not within the scope of nested radicals.

4. How does the depth of nested radicals affect its convergence?

The depth of nested radicals, or the number of times the square root (or other roots) is taken within the expression, can affect the convergence of the expression. Generally, as the depth increases, the expression will converge to a smaller value.

5. What are some real-life applications of nested radicals?

Nested radicals have various applications in physics, engineering, and finance. They can be used to model physical systems such as electrical circuits or to approximate solutions to equations that cannot be solved algebraically. They are also used in financial models to calculate the value of investments over time.