Net Force on a circular current carrying wire, from an infinite wire.

In summary, the net magnetic force on a circular wire due to an infinitely long straight wire of current is given by: dF=\left(\frac{-μ0I1I2acosødø}{2(d+acosø)}\right)\hat{x}+\left(\frac{-μ0I1I2asinødø}{2(d+acosø)}\right)[itex]\hat{y}
bluecadetthree

Homework Statement

-I've attached a picture of the problem-

An infinitely long straight wire of steady current I1 is placed to the left of a circular wire of current I2 and radius a as shown. The center of the circular wire is distance d(≥ a) away from the straight wire. Let’s find the net magnetic (Lorentz) force acting on the entire circular wire as follows:

(A) Express the magnetic field Bp at point P (due to the
current I1) in given quantities (including its direction).

(B) The Lorentz force due to the magnetic field Bp acting on a small current segment I2dℓ at P is given by

dF = I2dℓ × Bp

Express dF = (dFx, dFy, dFz) in component representation in given quantities.

(C) By integrating your results from (B) show explicitly that the net Lorentz force for the
entire circular wire is given by

Fnet = µoI1I2[itex]\left(1-[itex]\frac{d}{\sqrt{d2-a2}}[/itex]\right)[itex][itex]\hat{y}[/itex]​

Homework Equations

Most given in question.

Bp=[itex]\frac{-μ0I1}{2π(d+x)}[/itex]​

The Attempt at a Solution

The first two parts I got through pretty easily. Part (A) was just giving the equation of the B-field for an infinite wire. For part (B) I ended up with:

dF=[itex]\left(\frac{-μ0I1I2acosødø}{2(d+acosø)}\right)[/itex][itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+[itex]\left(\frac{-μ0I1I2asinødø}{2(d+acosø)}\right)[/itex][itex]\hat{y}[/itex]​

which I got from taking the cross product of I2dl and Bp, and am fairly certain is correct.

Now, for part (C) I keep getting stuck, I see what I'm supposed to get for Fnet, but my answer always has a natural log, or becomes zero, and I don't know how else to approach the problem.

Attachments

• Prob6Pic.jpg
    Prob6Pic.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello bluecadeetthree. Welcome to PF!

bluecadetthree said:
For part (B) I ended up with:

dF=[itex]\left(\frac{-μ_0I_1I_2a\cos\phi d\phi}{2(d+a\cos\phi)}\right)[/itex][itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+[itex]\left(\frac{-μ_0I_1I_2a\sin\phi d\phi}{2(d+a\cos\phi)}\right)[/itex][itex]\hat{y}[/itex]​

which I got from taking the cross product of I2dl and Bp, and am fairly certain is correct.

Yes, I think that's correct. (I tried to fix the latex, hope I got it the way you intended.)

Now, for part (C) I keep getting stuck, I see what I'm supposed to get for Fnet, but my answer always has a natural log, or becomes zero, and I don't know how else to approach the problem.

The integration of the y-component is straightforward. (The answer for this component should also be evident by symmetry.) The x-integration seems more difficult. I threw it into Mathematica and it popped out the answer. I also managed to do it by converting it to a contour integral in the complex plane. I'm not seeing an elementary way to do it, but I'm probably just not seeing it. I spent a few minutes searching integral tables on the internet but did not find it.

The answer for the net force that you stated in part (C) appears to have the wrong direction.

I was thinking the given net force had the wrong direction. I'll have to email my professor about that. Thanks for your help!

Related to Net Force on a circular current carrying wire, from an infinite wire.

1. What is the formula for calculating the net force on a circular current carrying wire from an infinite wire?

The formula for calculating the net force is given by F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the wires, L is the length of the wire, and d is the distance between the wires.

2. How does the direction of current flow affect the net force between the wires?

The direction of current flow in the wires determines the direction of the net force. If the currents are in the same direction, the wires will attract each other, and if they are in opposite directions, the wires will repel each other.

3. Does the distance between the wires affect the net force?

Yes, the distance between the wires has a direct impact on the net force. As the distance decreases, the force between the wires increases, and as the distance increases, the force decreases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires.

4. Is the net force affected by the length of the wires?

Yes, the length of the wires also plays a role in determining the net force. As the length of the wires increases, the force between them also increases. This is because the force is directly proportional to the length of the wires.

5. Can the net force on the wire be negative?

Yes, the net force on the wire can be negative if the currents are in opposite directions, causing the wires to repel each other. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the current flow. However, the magnitude of the force will still be positive.