Net Force on q2 from Charges q1-q4: Magnitude & Direction

In summary: Welcome to PF!Thanks for help though :biggrin:The charge q2 is indeed important. In Coulomb's force between 2 charges (say q1 and q2), you have F=\frac{kq1q2}{r^2}.So q2 will appear in your answer.The problem is, I'm not sure what to input for q2 as the distance is 0 (r=0) and you can't divide by 0.As it turns out, a charge is not influenced by its own electric field, only those of others. Thankfully so! Otherwise, electrodynamics would be a mathematically much more complicated
NewbAtPhysics

Homework Statement

q1 = 4 mC at the origin
q2 = 2 mC at x=1.0m y=0.0m
q3 = 1 mC at x=1.0m y= 1.0m
q4 = 3 mC at x=0.0m y= 1.0m

What is the net force on q2? Give magnitude and direction of the force.

Homework Equations

E = kq/r^2
E = F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok after plotting the locations of all 4 charges on a graph, you see that it makes up a square. So to find each electric field, i plugged in k, which is 9*10^9, r, which for q1 would be 1 because that's the distance charge q1 is from q2. By doing this for all 4 charges, i get the magnitude of each electric field.

The problem is, I'm not sure what to input for q2 as the distance is 0 (r=0) and you can't divide by 0. I'm also sure unsure whether or not charge q2's electric field has any effect on the other charges.

What I planned to do to solve the problem was to find each electric field and plug it into E = F/q to find the force and add them up to find net force, but I'm stuck on the steps mentioned.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
NewbAtPhysics said:

Homework Statement

q1 = 4 mC at the origin
q2 = 2 mC at x=1.0m y=0.0m
q3 = 1 mC at x=1.0m y= 1.0m
q4 = 3 mC at x=0.0m y= 1.0m

What is the net force on q2? Give magnitude and direction of the force.

Homework Equations

E = kq/r^2
E = F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok after plotting the locations of all 4 charges on a graph, you see that it makes up a square. So to find each electric field, i plugged in k, which is 9*10^9, r, which for q1 would be 1 because that's the distance charge q1 is from q2. By doing this for all 4 charges, i get the magnitude of each electric field.

The problem is, I'm not sure what to input for q2 as the distance is 0 (r=0) and you can't divide by 0. I'm also sure unsure whether or not charge q2's electric field has any effect on the other charges.

What I planned to do to solve the problem was to find each electric field and plug it into E = F/q to find the force and add them up to find net force, but I'm stuck on the steps mentioned.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Welcome to PF!
I think that E is generally defined once F is defined. So instead of calculating E for each charge, simply calculate F for each charge. (ok, that's more or less what you mention in your last sentence).
A big tip: What you want is the net force applied on q2. That is, the sum of the force exerted by q1, q3 and q4 (not q2! Hence you don't have to "divide by zero").

fluidistic said:
Welcome to PF!
I think that E is generally defined once F is defined. So instead of calculating E for each charge, simply calculate F for each charge. (ok, that's more or less what you mention in your last sentence).
A big tip: What you want is the net force applied on q2. That is, the sum of the force exerted by q1, q3 and q4 (not q2! Hence you don't have to "divide by zero").

That's kinda what I was thinking, but I assumed you needed the force of q2 for some reason, since they specifically tell you what the charge is of q2.

Thanks for help though :biggrin:

The charge q2 is indeed important.
In Coulomb's force between 2 charges (say q1 and q2), you have [tex]F=\frac{kq1q2}{r^2}[/tex].
So q2 will appear in your answer.

NewbAtPhysics said:
The problem is, I'm not sure what to input for q2 as the distance is 0 (r=0) and you can't divide by 0.

As it turns out, a charge is not influenced by its own electric field, only those of others. Thankfully so! Otherwise, electrodynamics would be a mathematically much more complicated theory than it is (non-linear)

NewbAtPhysics said:
I'm also sure unsure whether or not charge q2's electric field has any effect on the other charges.

Of course it does. Every charge will accelerate. Therefore, if you were being asked to figure out what happens to the system as a function of time, it would be quite complicated. Fortunately, you are only being asked to figure out the force on q2 at this instant, at which the charges have the locations stated.

NewbAtPhysics said:
That's kinda what I was thinking, but I assumed you needed the force of q2 for some reason, since they specifically tell you what the charge is of q2.

They give you q2 because once you find the net electric field at q2's position, you need to multiply it by q2 in order to calculate the force! :rolleyes:

Ohhhh, ok. I stupidly applied the formula for E and instead of multiplying it with charge q2 to find force, I multiplied it to charge q1 once again.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

FAQ: Net Force on q2 from Charges q1-q4: Magnitude & Direction

What is the formula for calculating the net force on q2 from charges q1-q4?

The formula for calculating the net force on q2 is given by the superposition principle, which states that the net force on an object is equal to the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on it. In this case, it can be written as F_net = F_12 + F_13 + F_14, where F_12 represents the force on q2 from q1, F_13 represents the force from q3, and so on.

How do I determine the magnitude of the net force on q2?

To determine the magnitude of the net force on q2, you will need to calculate the magnitude of each individual force on q2 from charges q1-q4 using Coulomb's law. Then, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the resultant force, which will give you the magnitude of the net force on q2.

How do I find the direction of the net force on q2?

The direction of the net force on q2 can be determined by using the principles of vector addition. You will need to draw a vector diagram, with each individual force represented as a vector, and then add them together using the head-to-tail method. The resulting vector will point in the direction of the net force on q2.

Can the net force on q2 be negative?

Yes, the net force on q2 can be negative. This indicates that the forces from charges q1-q4 are acting in opposite directions, resulting in a net force with a negative magnitude. In this case, the direction of the net force will be in the opposite direction of the force with the greater magnitude.

How does the distance between charges q1-q4 affect the net force on q2?

According to Coulomb's law, the magnitude of the force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between charges q1-q4 increases, the net force on q2 will decrease. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the net force will increase.

Back