Calculating Net Force on an Object Moving Up an Incline

In summary, the net force of an object going up an incline is the sum of the weight of the object and the kinetic friction force.
Format
Whats the net force of an object going UP an incline? I don't have an applied force, just the velocity, mass, and coeffieciant of friction. I solved for the Force of friction but how do i solve for Fnet? I don't think its
Fnet = Fg(parralel) - Ffriction cause Fg is still pulling down?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fnet=Fg(parallel)+Ffriction

hmm, why? lol

Frictional force opposes object's motion. what is lol ?

But isn't Fnet in a way equal to the direction of the object? If its going up the incline how can it be Fg+Ff if Fg is going down? lol = laugh out loud (an internet term i guess you could say :-p)

you said there is no applied upward force. so there are only two forces acting on the object, its weight and the kinetic frictional force. Fnet is not necessary equal to the direction of an object. it is going up the incline because of its kinectic energy, the speed it has. because the fnet is acting downward, this net force will tend to slow it down until it stops and then going downward because the acceleration caused by the net force is opposite in direction with its velocity.
just like when you pull a moving block on a frictionless table with constant force, the block will slow down until it stops and then it will move in the same direction with your pulling force.

Format said:
Whats the net force of an object going UP an incline? I don't have an applied force, just the velocity, mass, and coeffieciant of friction. I solved for the Force of friction but how do i solve for Fnet? I don't think its
Fnet = Fg(parralel) - Ffriction cause Fg is still pulling down?

well you'd have Fnet=Fapplied-Ff-Fg

where Fg and Ff are determined based on the angle of the incline

if you know the distance traveled you know the work done by the net force, so assume that the final velocity (i assume that is what you know?) is the result of the total work done by the system.

Last edited:
No, he didn't say there was "no applied upward force", he said "I don't have an applied force". Since he did say the object was going UP the incline there must be some upward force.
Format: you also said you had "just the velocity". If there is no acceleration then the net force is 0, of course. The upward applied force must be equal to the sum of the friction force and weight of the object but in the opposite direction.

Related to Calculating Net Force on an Object Moving Up an Incline

What is the formula for calculating net force on an object moving up an incline?

The formula for calculating net force on an object moving up an incline is: Fnet = mgsinθ - μmgcosθ, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction between the object and the incline.

How do you determine the angle of the incline in the net force formula?

The angle of the incline, θ, can be determined by measuring the height and length of the incline and using the formula θ = arctan(height/length). Alternatively, the angle may be given in the problem or can be estimated based on the slope of the incline.

What is the significance of the coefficient of friction in the net force formula?

The coefficient of friction, μ, represents the amount of resistance between the object and the incline. It takes into account the type of surface and the smoothness of the object. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater net force required to move the object up the incline.

What units are used in the net force formula?

The mass, m, is typically measured in kilograms (kg), acceleration due to gravity, g, is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²), the angle, θ, is measured in degrees (°), and the coefficient of friction, μ, is unitless. The resulting net force, Fnet, will be measured in Newtons (N).

Can the net force be negative when calculating an object's motion up an incline?

Yes, the net force can be negative when the force of gravity pulling the object down the incline is greater than the force pushing the object up the incline. This can happen if the angle of the incline is steep or if the coefficient of friction is high.