Net forces versus net moments -- solving a beam problem

In summary: An applied moment, as shown at B, is the same about all axes. In practice, it generally arises from two equal and opposite forces with......a point located at the intersection of the force vectors, and is therefore a resultant force....a point located at the intersection of the force vectors, and is therefore a resultant force....a point located at the intersection of the force vectors, and is therefore a resultant force.In summary, the first approach uses net force and the second approach uses net moment to find the reaction force of O. The two approaches got different answers because the net force neglects the torque reaction at O.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

螢幕快照 2017-10-05 下午9.10.05.png

Homework Equations

in photos

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
First approach:
05763487-2c0a-4b8b-9dc1-816c03665cde.jpeg

Second approach:
aa.jpeg

The two approaches used net force and net moment respectively in order to find reaction force of O, yet they got different answers. Why?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your first approach, first equation (Fyx3...) you have tricked yourself by writing it in the form "sum of moments from linear forces equals moment from torque". Try writing it as "sum of all moments equals zero".

I have not checked your second approach. It is hard to read. Please take the trouble to type in your working. Images are really for textbook extracts and diagrams.

o thanks
wait let me correct it
i have got 3582N as final answer

yecko said:
o thanks
wait let me correct it
i have got 3582N as final answer
You seem to be assuming there is no torque reaction at O.

Corrected
image.jpg

how can I have two variables in the equation? F(O,y) and M(O)?
Thanks

Oh... you mean I should consider the net force first in finding F(O,y) then find M(O) by torque equation?

Correction
image.jpg

I am not sure it is right to put two moments together in this way...
Thanks~

yecko said:
Correction
View attachment 212354

I am not sure it is right to put two moments together in this way...
Thanks~
Your moments equation has a few problems. You have included the x component of the force at O, and the 15000 has become 1500.

Ok i corrected it...
But i am not sure how two moments about different points being put together into one equation...
Thanks

image.jpg

yecko said:
Ok i corrected it...
But i am not sure how two moments about different points being put together into one equation...
Thanks
I am not suggesting taking moments about two different points.
The problem is that you find the net force at O by applying Pythagoras to the x and y components, but then use that as though it were a vertical force in your moments equation. Only the y component has a moment about points in the beam.

(Do you need to find the net force? Can't you just leave it as x component, y component and moment?
And it would have been a bit simpler to take moments about O.)

I am not sure what you are talking about for where using Pyth Thm...
But if i take about O, how can i find out moment about O?

The net force i mean is of y direction, in order to find y direction reaction force of O...

Try re-drawing your free body diagram.

Attachments

• IMAG1252.jpg
    IMAG1252.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 474
661E5F1A-747D-47F7-9122-936F73E7B329.jpeg

oh sorry I didn't account for the weight of the beam in my help. I'll amend that.

Your moment isn't a resultant force in the way you've described, it is a moment acting at point O from moments and forces acting perpendicular (Fy) to the point along the beam.

For example at point 0,
The Sum of Moments at point 0 is = Mo + Ay*distancefrom0 + Mb(given) - Cy*distancefrom0 - W*distancefrom0
rearrange to solve for Mo.

Your Oy reaction force is correct. Have you solved for Ox (Fx)?

Moments are not effected by horizontal forces. think of a moment like using a spanner/wrench acting on a bolt: If you push directly on the end of the tool, the nut doesn't turn - only if you apply a force on the side of the tool does the nut turn( ...get rid of your Fresultant equation)

Also, if you take the moment about a point you ignore the forces acting at that point BUT you still include any moment(s) acting at that point in your equation. Hope this helps.

yecko said:
where using Pyth Thm...
You found FO,x and FO,y, then combined them with √(FO,x2+FO,y2). I don't know why you bothered to do that, but more importantly it does not make sense to multiply that by 4.8m to take moments. That resultant is not vertical. Leave it as two separate component forces, multiply FO,y by the 4.8 and the FO,x by zero.
yecko said:
But if i take about O, how can i find out moment about O?
I don't understand your difficulty. You want to find three reactions at O, FO,x, FO,y and MO.
If you take moments about O, MO appears in the sum but not the other two.

But there is also external force at B creating moment about B... how can i take moment about O taking this moment force into account?
They are about different points... as they are rotation, its not simply upward or downward force for F(B) with reference to O...

yecko said:
But there is also external force at B creating moment about B... how can i take moment about O taking this moment force into account?
They are about different points... as they are rotation, its not simply upward or downward force for F(B) with reference to O...
An applied moment, as shown at B, is the same about all axes. In practice, it generally arises from two equal and opposite forces with different lines of action. E.g. we could represent it by an upward force of 25/6 kN at C together with a downward force of 25/6 kN at A. That gives an anticlockwise moment of 15kNm about any point in the plane. Try it for axes O, A and C.

image.jpg

Correction

Thank you very much for your help!

Related to Net forces versus net moments -- solving a beam problem

1. What is the difference between net forces and net moments in a beam problem?

Net forces refer to the sum of all the external forces acting on a beam, while net moments refer to the sum of all the external moments (torques) acting on a beam. Net forces determine the linear motion of the beam, while net moments determine the rotational motion of the beam.

2. How do you find the net force in a beam problem?

To find the net force, you need to sum up all the external forces acting on the beam. This includes both vertical and horizontal forces, as well as any distributed forces. The sum of these forces will give you the net force acting on the beam.

3. How do you calculate the net moment in a beam problem?

To calculate the net moment, you need to sum up all the external moments acting on the beam. This includes both clockwise and counterclockwise moments, as well as any distributed moments. The sum of these moments will give you the net moment acting on the beam.

4. How do you solve a beam problem using net forces and net moments?

To solve a beam problem, you need to first draw a free body diagram of the beam, showing all the external forces and moments acting on it. Then, you can use the equations of equilibrium (sum of forces = 0 and sum of moments = 0) to solve for the unknown forces and moments. Make sure to consider both linear and rotational motion when using these equations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a beam problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a beam problem include not considering all external forces and moments, not using the correct sign conventions for forces and moments, and not properly setting up and solving the equations of equilibrium. It is also important to double check your work and ensure that your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.