Net Ionic Equation for the Reaction of Al(OH)3 and HCl

• Thread starter DRC12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, the net ionic equation for the reaction between Al(OH)3(s) and HCl(aq) is Al3+(aq) + 3H2O(l) → Al3+(aq) + 3OH-(aq) + 3H+(aq). The only spectator ion is Cl-. Al(OH)3 remains in its solid form throughout the reaction.
DRC12
What is the net ionic equation of Al(OH)3(s)+3HCl(aq)=AlCl3(aq)+3H20

The answer a got was
Cl is the only spectator ion
Al3+ +3OH3- +3H3+ = Al3+ +3H2O

Physics news on Phys.org
DRC12 said:
Al3+ +3OH3-

You were told Al(OH)3(s)

I was given Al(OH)3(s)+HCl(aq)
then solved and balanced the equation as Al(OH)3(s)+3HCl(aq)=AlCl3(aq)+3H2O(l)
and I know that's correct I just can't figure out the net ionic equation and I'm not entirely sure what the spectator ions are but I'm pretty positive the only ones Cl

You are right about spectators, but you are wrong about Al(OH)3 being dissociated. It is given as Al(OH)3(s) for a reason.

So now i have it as Al(OH)3(s)+3H3+(aq)=3H2O(l)+Al3-(aq)

thats still not right but is that what you meant by being given Al(OH)3(s)?

Equation is so off my eyes hurt from looking, but you are on the right track now. Just half of the substances you listed don't exist.

Related to Net Ionic Equation for the Reaction of Al(OH)3 and HCl

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows only the species that participate in a chemical reaction, excluding spectator ions. It represents the actual chemical change that takes place.

2. How is a net ionic equation different from a regular chemical equation?

A regular chemical equation includes all of the reactants and products, as well as spectator ions. A net ionic equation only includes the species that are directly involved in the reaction, omitting spectator ions.

3. Why is it important to write net ionic equations?

Writing net ionic equations allows us to focus on the essential chemical change happening in a reaction. It also helps to simplify the equation and make it easier to understand and balance.

4. How do you determine spectator ions in a chemical equation?

Spectator ions are ions that appear on both the reactant and product side of a chemical equation but do not participate in the reaction. To determine spectator ions, you must first identify the overall ionic equation and then cancel out any ions that appear on both sides.

5. Are there any exceptions to writing net ionic equations?

Yes, there are some cases where writing a net ionic equation may not be necessary or appropriate. For example, in a reaction where all of the reactants and products are strong electrolytes, there are no spectator ions to eliminate, so the net ionic equation would be the same as the overall ionic equation.