Netscape to view internet pages with Java2 applets

• Java
  • Thread starter ramollari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary: I would rather think. j2sdk 1.2 and up is considered as Java 2 because it introduced many extension libraries, such as swing and jce. However there is a browser war and technology war. Microsoft doesn't want to promote the use of Java technology, but ActiveX instead so no version of IE can support Java 2. As far as I know, only Netscape 5.0 and up does.
ramollari
I'm trying to install Netscape to view internet pages with Java2 applets and I have also IE in my computer. The problem with Netscape is that it cannot open any internet page while IE can. I don't have any hint what forbids it to access the Internet?

Technology news on Phys.org
IE is basically a virus, i wouldn't be surprised if it didnt let netscape use the internet.

the day microsoft creates a product that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner. if i were you i would un install IE

T@P, you can't uninstall IE.

ramollari, do you have proxy settings?

Yes my PC is behind a proxy firewall, but it should allow the download of html pages. By the way, Firefox Moxilla also works fine.

If firefox is working, why use netscape? firefox should be fine.

Of course I'm biased. I love firefox.

And IE is a virus. I hate it.

franznietzsche said:
If firefox is working, why use netscape? firefox should be fine.

Of course I'm biased. I love firefox.

And IE is a virus. I hate it.

I need Netscape to view Java 2 applets, not supported by IE and by Firefox either.

Last edited:
Isn't java backwards compatible? I would think.

dduardo said:
Isn't java backwards compatible? I would think.
Yes Java is backwards compatible, so if the browser can read Java 2, it can also read Java 1 applets. But the opposite isn't true.

And aren't we at J2SE 5.0? So what is the problem?

dduardo said:
And aren't we at J2SE 5.0? So what is the problem?
j2sdk 1.5 I would rather think. j2sdk 1.2 and up is considered as Java 2 because it introduced many extension libraries, such as swing and jce. However there is a browser war and technology war. Microsoft doesn't want to promote the use of Java technology, but ActiveX instead so no version of IE can support Java 2. As far as I know, only Netscape 5.0 and up does. I really have trouble with IE when I try to view some academic demonstration applets written in Java 2.

It was my understanding that J2SE is the browser plugin while J2SDK is the software development kit. All the sdk provides is the libraries and such for java, but not the actual plugin for the browsers. I could be wrong, but try it out anyway.

Last edited:

FAQ: Netscape to view internet pages with Java2 applets

What is Netscape?

Netscape is a web browser that was popular in the 1990s and early 2000s. It was one of the first web browsers to support Java2 applets, which are small programs that can run on web pages.

What are Java2 applets?

Java2 applets are small programs written in the Java programming language that can be embedded into web pages. They can be used to create interactive content such as games, animations, and simulations.

Why do I need Netscape to view internet pages with Java2 applets?

Netscape was one of the first web browsers to support Java2 applets. If you want to view internet pages with Java2 applets, you will need to use a web browser that supports them, such as Netscape.

Is Netscape still supported?

No, Netscape is no longer supported. The last version of Netscape, Netscape 9, was released in 2007. Most modern web browsers no longer support Java2 applets, and they have been replaced with other web technologies such as HTML5 and JavaScript.

Are there any alternatives to using Netscape to view internet pages with Java2 applets?

Yes, there are other web browsers that support Java2 applets, such as Internet Explorer, Safari, and Firefox. However, as previously mentioned, most modern web browsers no longer support Java2 applets, so it may be difficult to find websites that still use them.