Neumann Problem: Use the divergence theorem to show it has a solution

In summary, the Neumann problem with the given boundary condition requires the integral of the function f(x,y,z) over D to be equal to 0. This is a necessary condition for the problem to have a solution, and can be proven using the divergence theorem and the given PDE. The divergence theorem states that the integral of the divergence of a vector field over a region D is equal to the integral of the vector field over the boundary of D. By applying this theorem and the PDE, it can be shown that the integral of f(x,y,z) over D must be equal to 0 for the Neumann problem to have a solution.
ProtonHarvest
From Partial Differential Equations: An Introduction, by Walter A. Strauss; Chapter 1.5, no.4 (b).

Homework Statement

"Consider the Neumann problem
(delta) u = f(x,y,z) in D

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial n}=0[/tex] on bdy D."

"(b) Use the divergence theorem and the PDE to show that

[tex]\int\int\int_{D}f(x,y,z)dxdydz = 0[/tex]

is a necessary condition for the Neumann problem to have a solution."

Homework Equations

Divergence Theorem:
[tex]\int\int\int_{D}\nabla\cdot \vec{f} d\vec{x} = \int\int_{S}f\cdot \vec{n}dS [/tex]

In this case d[tex]\vec{x}[/tex] is a vector component I understand to translate to dxdydz, and I understand the rest of the divergence theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wish I could but I don't know where to start; maybe I am rusty, maybe the question is worded strangely; maybe I'm over-thinking it. This is for a pure math PDE class, so even though I get why the condition is necessary from a physics perspective, I can't explain it in a math context, so I'm not sure how or what to apply the divergence theorem on.

If anyone can lend me a small clue to start me off that would be wonderful. I'm going to be checking this constantly so I will certainly respond.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not to be critical, but check the number you posted. you have posted that you need to do ch 1.2 #4 (b). that is ch 1.5 #4 (b). So either typed it wrong or you are on the wrong problem, b/c I am in a course using the same book. If you are doing the correct problem, then I can say I have no earthly idea where to start.

DarthBane, you're right, it is Chapter 1.5, I've edited it. Thanks for the heads up.

Related to Neumann Problem: Use the divergence theorem to show it has a solution

1. What is the Neumann Problem?

The Neumann Problem is a mathematical problem in partial differential equations, specifically in the field of boundary value problems. It involves finding a solution to a differential equation on a given domain with boundary conditions specified as derivatives of the solution.

2. What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the vector field within the enclosed volume.

3. How does the divergence theorem relate to the Neumann Problem?

The Neumann Problem can be solved using the divergence theorem by transforming the problem into an equivalent integral form, which can then be solved using the theorem. This allows for a solution to be found in terms of the boundary conditions rather than the derivatives.

4. What is meant by "showing it has a solution" in the context of the Neumann Problem?

Showing that the Neumann Problem has a solution means proving the existence of a unique solution that satisfies the given boundary conditions. This is typically done using mathematical techniques such as the divergence theorem, which allows for a solution to be found explicitly.

5. What are the applications of the Neumann Problem?

The Neumann Problem has various applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the fields of heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is also used in the study of diffusion processes and in the analysis of boundary value problems in general.