Neural networks in Wolfram Mathematica

In summary, the speaker asks if it is possible to create meaningful neural networks using Wolfram Mathematica for scientific research purposes, such as solving differential equations in physics. They also question if it is just a toy or teaching aid for specific tasks. The other person responds that they are unsure of the efficiency of Mathematica with neural networks, but there is ongoing research on using AI for physics problems.
Vrbic
TL;DR Summary
Is it reasonable to do specific neural networks in WM?
Hello,
I have a question about the use of functions and overall creation of neural networks in the Wolfram Mathematica (WM) program. I wonder if it is realistic to make meaningful neural networks usable at least partially for scientific research in WM? By scientific research, I do not mean the study of neural networks directly, but their application to some specific mathematical or physical problems. Something like using NDSolve to solve the differential equations of e.g. Einstein's relativity, which may in turn lead to a new discovery or in general to the preparation of a scientific paper.

Or is it just a toy or a teaching aid for very specific tasks such as converting handwritten digits to digital digits shown in the WM tutorial?

Thank you for your opinions.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Neural networks in Wolfram Mathematica

What are neural networks in Wolfram Mathematica?

Neural networks in Wolfram Mathematica are computational models inspired by the human brain, designed to recognize patterns and solve complex problems through a series of interconnected nodes or neurons. Mathematica provides a robust framework for building, training, and deploying neural networks using its built-in functions and tools, such as the Wolfram Neural Net Repository.

How do I create a simple neural network in Wolfram Mathematica?

To create a simple neural network in Wolfram Mathematica, you can use the `NetChain` function, which allows you to stack layers of neurons. For example, you can create a basic feedforward neural network with two layers using the following code:
net = NetChain[{LinearLayer[10], Tanh, LinearLayer[1]}]. This creates a network with an input layer of 10 neurons, a Tanh activation function, and an output layer of 1 neuron.

How do I train a neural network in Wolfram Mathematica?

To train a neural network in Wolfram Mathematica, you use the `NetTrain` function. This function requires the neural network, training data, and optionally, validation data and training options. For example, you can train a network `net` with training data `trainingData` using the following code:
trainedNet = NetTrain[net, trainingData]. You can also specify additional options such as the number of training iterations, learning rate, and batch size.

How do I evaluate the performance of a neural network in Wolfram Mathematica?

To evaluate the performance of a neural network in Wolfram Mathematica, you can use the `NetMeasurements` function, which provides various metrics such as accuracy, precision, recall, and loss. For example, you can evaluate a trained network `trainedNet` on test data `testData` using the following code:
NetMeasurements[trainedNet, testData, {"Accuracy", "Loss"}]. This will return the accuracy and loss of the network on the test data.

Can I use pre-trained neural networks in Wolfram Mathematica?

Yes, Wolfram Mathematica provides access to a wide range of pre-trained neural networks through the Wolfram Neural Net Repository. You can easily import and use these networks for various tasks such as image recognition, natural language processing, and more. For example, you can import a pre-trained image classifier using the following code:
net = NetModel["ResNet-50"]. This will load the ResNet-50 model, which you can then use for image classification tasks.