Neutron collision in quantum mechanics

In summary, the task is to describe the behavior of a neutron beam of mass 1.27*10^-27 kg and energy E impacting a chain of atoms with distance l between two of them. The goal is to find l for a specific energy E1 and angle o, using the equations E=(mN^2*C^4+PN^2*C^2)^(1/2), P= h/wavelength, and E= h*frequency. The solution involves considering the neutron as a wave and finding the wavelength, which is smaller than an atomic radius, to explain the collision. The poster has already solved the problem and apologizes for any confusion caused by the translation of the original problem.
Frank Einstein

Homework Statement

Good morning or afternoon. My quantum physics teacher has given me a task: Given a neutron beam of mass 1.27*10^-27 kg and known energy E impacts on a lineal chain of atoms with a known distance between two of them l. A detector intercepts the wave diffracted an angle o.

I have to a) describe qualitatively what happens at the detector as a function of the energy and b) for E=E1, find l as a function of E1 and o. Then find it for the numerical values o= 30 degrees and E1= 1.3*10^-20 J.

I have a drawing, but I don’t know how to post it.

Homework Equations

E=(mN^2*C^4+PN^2*C^2)^(1/2)
P= h/wavelength
E= h*frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The only thing I can think of is to think that the neutrons are waves instead of particles, these waves reflex on the chain of atoms and keep moving with a certain angle. The energy of the neutron is E=(mN^2*C^4+PN^2*C^2)^(1/2) and P= h/wavelength. So that, E= (mN^2*C^4+(h/wavelength)^2)^(1/2), then I find the wavelength and say that is smaller than a atomic radius, so that’s why the collision happens.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Don't worry, I have already solved it, sorry for the awful choice of words, but I am translating the problem, so I can't find the propper way to show the proper formulation.

Related to Neutron collision in quantum mechanics

1. What is a neutron collision?

A neutron collision is a type of interaction that occurs between two or more neutrons in quantum mechanics. It involves the exchange of energy and momentum between the particles, resulting in a change in their trajectories and potentially leading to the creation of new particles.

2. How is a neutron collision described in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a neutron collision is described using the principles of quantum field theory. This involves treating the neutrons as quantum particles and using mathematical equations to calculate the probability of the collision occurring and the resulting outcomes.

3. What are the effects of a neutron collision?

The effects of a neutron collision can vary depending on the specific circumstances of the collision. In general, it can result in the production of new particles, the transfer of energy and momentum, and changes in the spin and direction of the particles involved.

4. How are neutron collisions studied in quantum mechanics?

Neutron collisions are studied using experimental techniques such as particle accelerators and detectors, which allow scientists to observe and measure the results of the collisions. Theoretical calculations and simulations are also used to further understand the underlying principles of neutron collisions.

5. Can neutron collisions be controlled in quantum mechanics?

While it is possible to control some aspects of neutron collisions, such as the energy and direction of the particles involved, the exact outcomes of the collisions are inherently probabilistic in nature and cannot be fully controlled. However, through careful experimental design and theoretical understanding, scientists can manipulate and study these collisions to gain insight into the behavior of particles at the quantum level.