Neutron Decay Rate: Calculating Width & Lifetime

In summary, neutron decay rate is the rate at which neutrons decay into other particles and is an important concept in nuclear physics. The width of neutron decay is calculated using the Fermi's Golden Rule, and the neutron decay rate is affected by factors such as the type of decay and energy of decay products. The lifetime of a neutron is inversely proportional to its decay rate. It can be measured experimentally through techniques like neutron counting and time-of-flight measurements.
jiaqiqiu
How do we calculate the decay width or the mean lifetime of neutron/

Physics news on Phys.org
about 14 minuets and 46 seconds according to Wikipedia

Thank you!I mean I know the result,but I don't know how we get it,so I want to know the theoretical method of dealing with this problem!

It's in Griffiths.

FAQ: Neutron Decay Rate: Calculating Width & Lifetime

1. What is neutron decay rate and why is it important?

Neutron decay rate is the rate at which neutrons decay into other particles. It is an important concept in nuclear physics as it helps us understand the stability and behavior of atoms and their nuclei.

2. How is the width of neutron decay calculated?

The width of neutron decay is calculated using the Fermi's Golden Rule, which takes into account the interaction between the neutron and its decay products.

3. What factors affect the neutron decay rate?

The neutron decay rate is affected by various factors such as the type of decay, the energy of the decay products, and the strength of the interaction between the neutron and its decay products.

4. How is the lifetime of a neutron related to its decay rate?

The lifetime of a neutron is inversely proportional to its decay rate. This means that as the decay rate increases, the lifetime of the neutron decreases.

5. Can the neutron decay rate be measured experimentally?

Yes, the neutron decay rate can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as neutron counting and time-of-flight measurements.