Neutron-Electron and Neutron-Positron Interactions: Is There a Difference?

In summary, when an electron collides with a neutron, there is no observable difference compared to when a positron collides with a neutron. Both interactions result in scattering from the neutron's magnetic dipole moment and, at high momentum transfer, scattering from the electric form factor of the neutron. The only known decay mode for a neutron is into a proton, electron, and antineutrino, and there is no observed decay into a positron and neutrino due to conservation laws. Any claims of such a decay are likely due to misinterpretation of data.
jhmar
I understand the difference between the two main Neutron decays but, is there an observable difference when an electron collides with a neutron compared to a positron colliding with a neutron?
In particular, I need to know if there is a difference in the behaviour of the neutron.

Physics news on Phys.org
When a positron collides with a neutron, "inverse beta decay" can occur.
The process is positron + neutron --> proton + antineutrino.
This can't happen when an electron interacts with a neutron.

For either positron or electron, there will be scattering from the neuton due to the neutron's magnetic dipole moment. This is the same for electron and positron.

At high momentum transfer, there will also be scattering due to the electric form factor of the neutron.

"... the two main Neutron decays" I don't know what you mean by this.
I only know one decay mode for
neutron --> proton + electron +antineutrino.

I only know one decay mode for
neutron --> proton + electron +antineutrino.

I read somewhere that neutron--->positron+neutrino is observed on occassions.

jhmar said:
I read somewhere that neutron--->positron+neutrino is observed on occassions.

But that doesn't conserve electric charge. I've never heard of a decay that does that! You must have mis-read something.

jtbell said:
But that doesn't conserve electric charge. I've never heard of a decay that does that! You must have mis-read something.

Nor baryon or lepton number. (Though there are searches for lepton number violation and baryone number violation, though I believe that baryon number violation has a pretty strict limit based on experiment.) The poster must just have mis-read something.

Related to Neutron-Electron and Neutron-Positron Interactions: Is There a Difference?

What is a neutron lepton interaction?

A neutron lepton interaction is a type of subatomic particle interaction that occurs between a neutron and a lepton, such as an electron or a neutrino. Neutrons are neutral particles found in the nucleus of atoms, while leptons are a family of elementary particles that includes electrons and neutrinos.

What are the different types of neutron lepton interactions?

There are three main types of neutron lepton interactions: elastic scattering, inelastic scattering, and absorption. In elastic scattering, the neutron and lepton exchange energy and momentum without changing their identities. In inelastic scattering, the neutron and lepton exchange energy and one or both particles may change into a different type of particle. In absorption, the neutron is completely absorbed by the lepton, resulting in the creation of new particles.

What is the significance of neutron lepton interactions in the study of particle physics?

Neutron lepton interactions are important in understanding the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. They help us to understand the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions with one another. By studying these interactions, scientists can gain insight into the structure of matter and the fundamental laws of nature.

How do scientists study neutron lepton interactions?

Scientists study neutron lepton interactions using particle accelerators and detectors. Particle accelerators accelerate particles, such as neutrons and leptons, to high speeds and energies, allowing them to collide and interact. Detectors then record the particles and their properties, providing valuable data for scientists to analyze.

What practical applications do neutron lepton interactions have?

Neutron lepton interactions have several practical applications, such as in medical imaging and cancer treatment. Neutron beams can be used to produce images of the body, providing valuable information for diagnosis and treatment planning. Neutron capture therapy, a type of cancer treatment, uses neutron lepton interactions to target and destroy cancer cells while minimizing damage to healthy tissue.