Neutron Reaction: Calculating Total Cross Section

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of neutron reactions and the use of the optical model and Breit-Wigner formula to calculate the total cross section at different energy levels. The speaker is unsure about the parameters involved in the calculations and seeks clarification on how to proceed with their research. They also mention that their research is for a homework assignment.
ndtkhanhtrinh
Neutron Reaction?

Now, I am doing a research about neutron reaction with many level of energy. With intermediate and high energy, I use optical model to calculate the total cross section of the reaction. But in the low energy, I can not do like that because I do not know about the parameters of each reaction. How can I to calculate the total cross section?

Physics news on Phys.org
please specify.

at what level are your "research" ?

What reaction, what energy range are you examine?

What parameters don't you know? Do you use resonances? are your parameters from experimental data? etc.

I want to use Breit-Wigner formula to calculate the cross section of neutron resonance reaction.
But, in fact, in that formula, there are a lot of parameters I do not know.

ndtkhanhtrinh said:
I want to use Breit-Wigner formula to calculate the cross section of neutron resonance reaction.
But, in fact, in that formula, there are a lot of parameters I do not know.

you still did not say what reaction you are looking at etc.

And this is HOMEWORK, you wrote it in your PM to me, so this should be moved to HW section.

Related to Neutron Reaction: Calculating Total Cross Section

1. What is a neutron reaction?

A neutron reaction is a process in which neutrons collide with a target nucleus and undergo a change in energy, direction, or identity. This reaction can result in the production of new elements or isotopes, the release of energy, or the absorption of neutrons.

2. What is total cross section in neutron reactions?

Total cross section is a measure of the probability that a neutron will interact with a target nucleus in a given reaction. It represents the sum of all possible outcomes for the neutron-target collision, including elastic scattering, inelastic scattering, and absorption.

3. How is total cross section calculated?

Total cross section is calculated by dividing the number of reactions that occur within a target by the number of neutrons that pass through it. This value is then multiplied by the area of the target to get the total cross section in units of square centimeters (cm^2).

4. What factors affect the total cross section in neutron reactions?

The total cross section in neutron reactions is affected by the energy of the neutron, the type and mass of the target nucleus, and the angle at which the neutron approaches the target. Additionally, the presence of other particles or materials in the target can also impact the total cross section.

5. Why is calculating total cross section important in neutron reactions?

Calculating total cross section is important in neutron reactions because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of neutrons interacting with different target materials. This information is essential in many fields, including nuclear power, materials science, and astrophysics.