Neveu-Schwarz/Ramond sectors and chirality

• Thread starter AlphaNumeric
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chirality
In summary, In constructing states in the Neveu-Schwarz sector, one starts with a ground state and uses bosonic and fermionic operators to truncate the states with the GSO projector. In the Ramond sector, the ground state is a polarisation spinor and the GSO projector is defined using gamma matrices. The Dirac equation puts constraints on the spinor such that it behaves as an 8 component spinor instead of 16. The spinor u is just the solution of this equation.
AlphaNumeric
I'm trying to get my head around part of my course in string theory from last term, specifically the nature of Neveu-Schwarz (NS) and Ramond (R) sectors.

When constructing states in NS you start with a groundstate [tex]|0,p\rangle[/tex] and use the bosonic and fermionic operators [tex]\alpha_{-n}^{i}[/tex] and [tex]\psi_{-\frac{1}{2}-m}^{j}[/tex] (m,n integer). These states are then truncated by the GSO projector [tex]P_{NS} = \big( 1 + (-1)^{F} \big)[/tex] where [tex]F = \sum_{r=\frac{1}{2}}^{\infty}\psi_{r}^{\dagger}. \psi_{r}[/tex] so that only the states satisfying [tex]P_{NS}|\phi\rangle =0[/tex] are taken to be physical (thus getting rid of the old tachyon ground state). All well and good, I can get my head around that :smile:

However, in R you don't start with the same kind of ground state, but instead something of the form [tex]|0,p,A\rangle u^{A}[/tex] where [tex]u^{A}[/tex] is a polarisation spinor (which can also be written in the form [tex]\left(u_{+},u_{-}\right)^{T}[/tex]). Perhaps it's a very stupid question, but can someone explain why this spinor is there please?

The GSO projector is also defined in a different way, using the d=10 gamma matrices,

[tex]P_{R}^{\pm} = \big( 1 \pm \Gamma_{11}(-1)^{F} \big)[/tex]

with [tex]F = \sum_{r=0}^{\infty}\psi_{r}^{\dagger}. \psi_{r}[/tex] and [tex]\Gamma_{11} = \Gamma_{0}...\Gamma_{9}[/tex]

I can see the plus/minus projector relating to the chirality of the spinor, but why is there a gamma matrix in R but not in NS (I would guess it's the same reason there's a spinor in R and not in NS?)

Probably related to it all is the Dirac equation [tex]\alpha_{0}. \Gamma u_{+} = 0[/tex] taking [tex]u_{+}^{A}[/tex] (16 components) to [tex]u_{+}^{a}[/tex] ('a' is a spinor index and [tex]u_{+}^{a}[/tex] an [tex]8_{s}[/tex] rep of SO(8)) and similarly [tex]u_{-}^{A} \to u_{-}^{\dot{a}}[/tex] (an [tex]8_{c}[/tex] of SO(8)), though having not taken the supersymmetry course and only passing familiarity with the dot index notation from a group symmetry course last autumn I'm also a little hazy about this bit too. Does it mean the Dirac equation puts constraints on the u spinor such that it behaves as an 8 component spinor instead of 16, with the components being different depending on the chirality of the initial spinor the Dirac equation/operator is applied on?

Having read through my notes a fair few times and looking in a textbook or two (such as 'Superstring Theory' by Witten, Schwarz and Green) it's got a bit clearer (I now get torus invariance under SL(2,Z) :smile: ) but if anyone could shed a bit more light on some of the bits I've mentioned I'd be very very grateful. If (as I suspect) I've asked a bunch of somewhat trivial questions I can get answers to in certain books or papers, just name them (and where in the book I'd find the relevant part) and I'll check my department library rather than waste anyone's time on here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We know that the Ramond ground states are massless spacetime fermions and must therefore satisfy the massless Dirac equation. The spinor u is just the solution of this equation.

/bangs head repeatedly on table

Doh! I knew it was probably a stupid question. I was looking so much at generation of states I didn't even put the facts it's a fermionic state and it's massless together! Thanks :smile:

Related to Neveu-Schwarz/Ramond sectors and chirality

1. What are the Neveu-Schwarz and Ramond sectors in string theory?

The Neveu-Schwarz and Ramond sectors are two distinct types of states that arise in the quantization of fermionic string modes. They represent different boundary conditions for the string, resulting in different mathematical properties and physical interpretations.

2. How do the Neveu-Schwarz and Ramond sectors relate to chirality?

In string theory, chirality refers to the property of a particle's spin being aligned either parallel or antiparallel to its direction of motion. The Neveu-Schwarz sector contains only chiral states, while the Ramond sector contains both chiral and non-chiral states.

3. What is the significance of chirality in particle physics?

Chirality has important implications in particle physics, as it determines how particles interact with the weak nuclear force. Only left-handed chiral particles and right-handed chiral antiparticles participate in the weak force, while the opposite chirality states are unaffected.

4. How do the Neveu-Schwarz and Ramond sectors affect the properties of a string?

The Neveu-Schwarz and Ramond sectors have different mathematical properties, resulting in different physical interpretations of the string. For example, the Neveu-Schwarz sector has a massless spin-1 particle, while the Ramond sector has a massless spin-1/2 particle.

5. Can the Neveu-Schwarz and Ramond sectors be experimentally distinguished?

No, the Neveu-Schwarz and Ramond sectors cannot be experimentally distinguished since they have the same physical properties. However, the different chirality states in the Ramond sector can be experimentally observed through their interactions with the weak nuclear force.