New Hobbyist member seeking help with some math/calculus

• Thread starter PickyBiker
  • Start date
In summary, a new hobbyist member is seeking assistance with math and calculus. They are looking for guidance and support in understanding and solving mathematical equations and problems. They may need help with basic concepts such as algebra and geometry, or more advanced topics like derivatives and integrals. The member is eager to learn and improve their skills in math and calculus, and is open to any advice or resources that can aid them in their journey.
PickyBiker
How did you find PF?
Google search
Hello everyone,

I am a 72 year old retired IT worker and I am interested in all things Arduino and a few things PI as hobbies. Although I have completed several dozen Arduino projects and a couple Raspberry PI projects, the latest project has me stumped because the physical motion math of an inverted pendulum is pretty far above my ability to code.

I joined this forum in the hope that someone can help me convert some inverted pendulum motion formulas to C code program language.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, an inverted pendulum on Earth is still referential to non-inverted Earth gravity, right? So maybe take the first derivative of position with respect to time (that's velocity); then take the second derivatives with regard to all of the time-dependent vectors, (accelerations), then the 3rd derivative (jerk); then just for fun take the 4th derivative (jounce) and you're good to go -- the inverted pendulum will still be swinging along with velocity,

Likes pbuk, berkeman and anorlunda