What Are the New Methods and Notations in Differential Geometry?

ric peregrino
How did you find PF?
Google search.
Hello,

I'm an old fart, that used to self study GR and tensor calculus. I have a BS ECE from UCD, and a MS EE from Stanford. I've since retired from my electrical engineering career which was mostly at the old HP's Stanford Park Division, and I find myself once again pondering these things. I see a lot of new methods and notation, that I'm not familiar with, namely differential geometry, and hope to continue to learn.

Cheers,
Ric

Likes berkeman and Drakkith
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum from a fellow old fart retired EE. You've come to the right place.

Likes ric peregrino
Welcome to PF.

Likes ric peregrino
Ah, the old N queens problem. At UCD, I goofed and burned all my time on a 1 thread Burroughs mainframe, which happily burned all my assigned CPU time and then errored out. I had to go to the prof and ask for more CPU time, and I was then able to get the desired solution for 8 queens. One student had a very elegant, short, recursive solution to the problem, which I don't recall in detail, except that it was a very small number of lines of code, compared to my brute force 8 nested loops approach.

ric peregrino said:
At UCD, I goofed and burned all my time on a 1 thread Burroughs mainframe,
The B6700 in the basement of Storer Hall? That's the machine I learned Fortran and Pascal on, in some intro programming classes around 1977 at UC Davis. :smile:

Likes ric peregrino
berkeman said:
The B6700 in the basement of Storer Hall? That's the machine I learned Fortran and Pascal on, in some intro programming classes around 1977 at UC Davis. :smile:
Wait ... a Borroughs mainframe had FORTRAN and Pascal??? I thought they only had AlGOL, which is what I learned on them in 1962 -> 67 (so maybe they added them later --- I'm pretty sure the one I used only had ALGOL).

I remember it had a lot of "morning sickness" 'cause every damned time they turned it back on a tube or two would burn out. They could have avoided that by running it 24x7 but as I understand it, that would have resulted in an electric bill that would have been approximately the gross national produce of Guatemala.

• Haha
Likes ric peregrino and berkeman
Ya, good times! I think we used Pascal, about 1980.

Likes berkeman