New news about neutrinos moving faster than the spead of light?

In summary, neutrinos are subatomic particles that are abundant in the universe and have no electric charge and a very small mass. Scientists are using high-energy particle accelerators to measure their speed by creating and measuring beams of neutrinos. The speed of light is considered to be the fastest speed at which anything can travel in the universe, and evidence supporting this includes a 2011 study that showed neutrinos arriving 60 nanoseconds sooner than predicted, but this was later found to be due to experimental errors. If neutrinos were found to be moving faster than the speed of light, it would challenge our current understanding of physics and potentially require a major revision of the theory of relativity, although the majority of evidence still supports the idea that nothing
AlephOmega
I don't think anyone can explain it, but does anyone know what is up with this news about neurtinos going faster than the spead of light? I can feal all of physics crumbling around me whenever I think about it!

Science news on Phys.org

Related to New news about neutrinos moving faster than the spead of light?

What are neutrinos?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that have no electric charge and a very small mass. They are one of the most abundant particles in the universe and are constantly passing through us.

How are neutrinos being measured for their speed?

Scientists are using high-energy particle accelerators to create and measure beams of neutrinos. These beams are then sent through detectors that can record the time it takes for the neutrinos to travel a specific distance.

What is the current understanding of the speed of light?

The speed of light is considered to be the fastest speed at which anything can travel in the universe. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second and is a fundamental constant in the laws of physics.

What evidence supports the claim that neutrinos are moving faster than the speed of light?

A study conducted by the OPERA collaboration in 2011 showed that neutrinos traveling from CERN in Switzerland to the Gran Sasso laboratory in Italy arrived 60 nanoseconds sooner than the speed of light would predict. However, this result has since been found to be due to experimental errors.

What are the implications if neutrinos are found to be moving faster than the speed of light?

If this were to be true, it would challenge our current understanding of the laws of physics and could require a major revision of the theory of relativity. However, it is important to note that the majority of evidence and experiments still support the theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.