NEW Proof that parity operator is hermitean

In summary, the conversation discusses the hermiticity of the parity operator, and the question is raised whether it is hermitian or anti-hermitian. The left and right hand sides of the equation are compared and it is shown that the parity operator is indeed hermitian when the limits of integration are taken into account. The mistake in the previous calculation is corrected and it is concluded that the parity operator is indeed hermitian.
Sunnyocean
If the parity operator ##\hat{P}## is hermitian, then:

##\langle \phi | \hat{P} | \psi \rangle = (\langle \psi | \hat{P} | \phi \rangle)^*##

Let us see if the above equation is true.

The left hand side of the above equation is:

## \langle \phi | \hat{P} | \psi \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi (x)^* \hat{P} \psi (x)\,dx ##

The right hand side of the above equation is:

## (\langle \psi | \hat{P} | \phi \rangle)^* = (\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi (x)^* \hat{P} \phi (x)\,dx)^* = (\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi (x)^* \phi (-x)\,dx)^* = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi (-x)^* \psi (x)\,dx ##

Now, changing the variable of integration from x to -t, we obtain:

## \int_{\infty}^{-\infty} \phi (t)^* \psi (-t)\,dt = \int_{\infty}^{-\infty} \phi (t)^* \hat{P} \psi (t)\,dt = - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi (t)^* \hat{P} \psi (t)\,dt = - \langle \phi | \hat{P} | \psi \rangle ##

(The minus in front of the integral appears when we switch the limits of integration)

So it would appear that P (the parity operator) is ANTI Hermitian (i.e. it is equal to the negative of its Hermitian conjugate), not Hermitian.

The “best trick” I’ve seen so far is that those who “prove” that the parity operator is Hermitian simply ignore the limits of integration. In other words, they do the calculations above for the *indefinite* integral. In this case, of course, you don’t get the minus from switching the sign of the integral above, so it appears that the parity operator is indeed Hermitian.

But it is very odd, to say the least, that an operator is hermitian when used with indefinite integrals and anti hermitian when used with definite integrals. After all, it is the same operator.

Can anyone see any mistake in my calculations above? If yes, what is it?

If what I wrote above is wrong, than can anyone show me the proof that the parity operator is hermitian?

*Please note: I am aware that this question has been asked before on Physics Forums and I *did* read the answers, however I did not find them to be conclusive. So please don’t jut copy past answers.

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to use ##\mathrm d x = - \mathrm d t##, which fixes the minus sign.

Likes 2 people
This is me replying to myself, but I know where the mistake is:

There is *one more* minus which appears when switching the variable from x to -t. The minus is from dx which is equal to -dt. Then the minus from -dt and the minus from switching the limits of the integral cancel each other out, so the parity operator is indeed Hermitian.

Thank you rubi, you are right :)

Related to NEW Proof that parity operator is hermitean

1. What is the parity operator in quantum mechanics?

The parity operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles under spatial transformations. It determines whether a system is symmetric or asymmetric under a change in position, and is represented by the symbol "P".

2. What does it mean for the parity operator to be Hermitian?

A Hermitian operator is one that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In the case of the parity operator, this means that it is equal to its own inverse, indicating that it is a self-adjoint operator with real eigenvalues.

3. Why is it important to prove that the parity operator is Hermitian?

Proving that the parity operator is Hermitian is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to use the properties of Hermitian operators to make predictions about the behavior of particles under spatial transformations. It also helps to establish the validity of the mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics.

4. How was it proven that the parity operator is Hermitian?

The proof that the parity operator is Hermitian involves using the properties of the parity operator and the definition of a Hermitian operator. It can be shown that the parity operator is equal to its own adjoint, which is equivalent to being Hermitian.

5. What are the implications of the proof for the study of quantum mechanics?

The proof that the parity operator is Hermitian has important implications for the study of quantum mechanics. It allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles under spatial transformations, and provides further evidence for the validity of quantum mechanics as a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.