New to astronomy, what telescope should I get?

In summary, the individual is interested in astrophysics and wants to make it a career but has never used a telescope before. Their parents offered to buy them one for Christmas/birthday but they are unsure of which one to choose. They are looking for a telescope that is not too expensive and easy to use, as they live in a small town with minimal light pollution. Suggestions are made to join an astronomy club and try out different telescopes before making a purchase. Alternatively, it is suggested to invest in a good pair of binoculars and a book on amateur astronomy. The importance of aperture over magnification is emphasized and recommendations are made for specific telescope models.
GeelongMofobi
Hey all,

I've been interested in the stars all my life and I know a bit about astrophysics from booklearning and what's been taught in school and whoud one day like to make a career out of it but I've never actually used a telescope before.

A few weeks ago my parents saw me looking at some telescopes in a magazine and asked if i wanted one for christmas/my birthday (they're very close to each other). I said yes but I don't know which one I want. Actually I don't know anything about them really. Could anyone advise a good one? I need something that's not too expensive (If i put in some of my own money I can have a limit of maybe £110-£120 [$165-$180]) and something that's easy to use but that i can see things well through. I live in a small town so there's not much pollution and you can see the stars most nights.

Anything helps. Thank you.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The price range will make it very difficult to get a telescope with any quality - at least a new telescope. Is there an astronomy club somewhere near you that you can join? It would be a good idea to join and attend a few meetings, and talk to people. They can give you some guidance about what kind of gear you might want to get.

As a bonus, many amateur astronomers are gear-hoppers, and buy, swap, sell, etc. You might run into someone who has a used telescope to sell, and the best part is that you will get to try out the gear before you buy it.

yeah there is, but its quite a way away. I think I might just save up a bit more and repost this thread when i have more money. thanks anyway. :)

In your price range, you might be able to get a Dobsonian (alt-azimuth mounted) Newtonian telescope such as this. I hesitate to recommend such a purchase (though Orion has a pretty darned good reputation) because there is no way to know what kind of 'scope might be appropriate for you until you have had some experience viewing through them and trying them out.

http://www.telescope.com/control/pr...onid=BF546A241E32BCDBC64F45A14694E890.ivprod1

My opinion is that if you're only going to spend money in that price range, it's not worth it getting a scope at all.

Probably a much better idea would be a nice pair of binoculars and perhaps a book on amateur astronomy. These two items will probably afford you much more satisfaction than a piece of crap $150 telescope. The binoculars will be especially nice if you have any kind of tripod to use with them, but even without one they're still a good buy.

I personally own a pair of these:
http://www.celestron.com/c2/product.php?CatID=28&ProdID=187
Which I use whenever I'm too lazy to drag my dob out, or simply for spotting things before looking at them. I actually got them after the actual scope, but now realize that they would've been a better purchase beforehand!

Also, whether or not this has any bearing on your situation I don't know, but between these binoculars and my 8" telescope, I can see basically the same things. This is owed to the fact that where I usually observe is HEAVILY light polluted. The resolution is greater with the 8", but there isn't a fantastic difference in ability to see things (Especially with extended objects eg galaxies, nebulae).

I definitely second turbo-1's advice about a first scope though. The experience of actually using a scope before buying it is invaluable!

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are determined to get you a scope, just remember this one golden rule:

Magnification is nothing. Aperature is everything.

Do NOT let them buy a scope based on a big mag number (which is how cheap scopes are flogged). Instead, look at the diameter of the objective lens.
For a refractor (where you look in the end), it'll be around 3" - 3.5".
For the same price, a reflector (where you look in the side) will be a little larger, 4"-5".

I agree with Nabeshin. My first scope was a 7x50 Zeiss binocular. It was [and still is] a fabulous instrument - easily the best bang for the buck I've ever used.

try looking at the sky watcher 130m as they are highly regarded as the best starter scopes. I had one and it was great :D also bins are excellent. and a copy of turn left at Orion is a must

Related to New to astronomy, what telescope should I get?

1. What should I consider when choosing a telescope?

When choosing a telescope, there are several factors to consider. First, think about your budget and how much you are willing to spend. Next, consider the type of objects you want to observe and the magnification level you desire. Also, think about the size and portability of the telescope, as well as any additional accessories or features you may want.

2. Should I get a refracting or reflecting telescope?

This depends on personal preference and what you want to observe. Refracting telescopes use lenses to gather and focus light, while reflecting telescopes use mirrors. Generally, reflecting telescopes are better for viewing faint, distant objects, while refracting telescopes are better for viewing planets and the moon.

3. How important is the aperture of a telescope?

The aperture, which is the diameter of the lens or mirror, is a crucial factor in a telescope's performance. A larger aperture allows for more light to enter the telescope, resulting in brighter and clearer images. However, larger apertures also mean a bigger and more expensive telescope, so consider your budget and needs when deciding on aperture size.

4. Can I use a telescope for astrophotography?

Some telescopes are designed specifically for astrophotography, while others may require additional equipment and accessories. If you are interested in astrophotography, make sure to choose a telescope with a sturdy mount, good tracking capabilities, and the ability to attach a camera.

5. Should I purchase a computerized or manual telescope?

This depends on your level of experience and preference. A computerized telescope, also known as a GoTo telescope, has a motorized mount and can automatically locate and track celestial objects. This can be helpful for beginners, but manual telescopes can also be great for learning the night sky and developing observational skills. Consider your goals and experience level when deciding between a computerized or manual telescope.