New to FEM? Get Answers about Stiff-Spring Method & Partition Coefficient

• Thread starter howtophysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
It is used in the "stiff-spring" method to account for the different concentrations of the species in the two phases. Overall, this method allows for a simplified and efficient solution to the problem at hand. In summary, the "stiff-spring" approximation method is a simplified way of solving for pressure gradient across a medium based on a linear relationship with the displacement of a spring. It can be used at only one boundary and utilizes a partition coefficient to account for different concentrations of a species in two phases.
howtophysics
New to FEM - have started using COMSOL. Trying to adapt a "stiff-spring" method that was used in this example:
http://www.engineering.uiowa.edu/~cbe_217/Misc/dialysis.pdf
Questions:
1. How does this "stiff-spring" approximation method work? I got the books that where listed as references, but I still can't seem to piece it together. I guess I am wondering how it's derived.
2. Could I use the "stiff-spring" boundary conditions at only one boundary (i.e. create two domains, with different saturation values, and then link them with a stiff-spring boundary condition in order to solve for steady state?)
3. The partition coefficient confuses me a little. It's set as the ratio of concentrations? But which concentrations? Apparently it's a constant - so where is it coming from?

If you guys and gals could help me on any of the following questions (or just point me in the right direction) I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. The "stiff-spring" approximation method is based on a linear relationship between the pressure gradient across a medium and the displacement of the spring. This is expressed as a differential equation, which can be solved to get the displacement of the spring at any given point in time. The idea is that the pressure gradient across the medium can be approximated by a spring with a certain stiffness, so that when the pressure gradient changes, the displacement of the spring will also change. This allows for a simplified solution to the problem of finding the pressure gradient. 2. Yes, it is possible to use the "stiff-spring" boundary conditions at only one boundary. The two domains will need to be connected via a stiff-spring boundary condition in order to solve for the steady state. This means that the stiffness of the spring should be chosen such that it is appropriate for the given pressure gradient.3. The partition coefficient is a constant that is typically determined experimentally. It describes the ratio of concentrations of a particular species between two phases, such as a liquid and a gas. For example, the partition coefficient for water between air and water would be the ratio of the concentration of water in the air to the concentration of water in the liquid.

Related to New to FEM? Get Answers about Stiff-Spring Method & Partition Coefficient

1. What is the stiff-spring method?

The stiff-spring method is a numerical technique used in finite element analysis (FEA) to model stiff materials or structures. It involves dividing the structure into smaller elements and connecting them with small springs to simulate the stiffness of the material.

2. How does the stiff-spring method differ from other FEA techniques?

The stiff-spring method is different from other FEA techniques in that it is specifically designed to handle stiff materials. It is also simpler and more efficient than other methods, making it a popular choice for engineers and scientists.

3. What is the partition coefficient and how is it used in FEA?

The partition coefficient is a parameter used to determine the stiffness of the spring elements in the stiff-spring method. It is calculated based on the material properties and the size and shape of the element, and it helps to ensure accurate simulation of the stiffness of the material in the FEA model.

4. What are the advantages of using the stiff-spring method in FEA?

There are several advantages to using the stiff-spring method in FEA. It is more accurate for modeling stiff materials, it is computationally efficient, and it can handle complex geometries and loading conditions. Additionally, it is easy to implement and requires minimal user input.

5. Are there any limitations to using the stiff-spring method in FEA?

While the stiff-spring method is a powerful and widely-used technique in FEA, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for highly nonlinear materials or structures, and it may not accurately capture local stress concentrations. It is important for engineers to carefully consider the material and loading conditions before using this method in their FEA simulations.