Newbie question: Algebra of Mahalanobis distance

• Thread starter anja.ende
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the Mahalanobis distance is a measure of how many standard deviations a point is from the mean, and it is calculated using the covariance matrix Ʃ and the squared difference between X and μ. This allows for a more accurate measurement in multidimensional cases, where the standard deviation is replaced by the covariance matrix.
anja.ende
Hello,

The Mahalanobis distance or rather its square is defined as :

[itex](X-\mu)^2/\Sigma[/itex] which is then written as

[itex](X-\mu)^{T} Ʃ^{-1}(X-\mu)[/itex]

Ʃ is the covariance matrix. My silly question is why is the sigma placed in the middle of the dot product of the (X-μ) vector with itself. I am sure this makes sense mathematically (this reduces the output to a scalar) but I would like to know the intuitive reason behind it.

Thanks a lot!
Anja

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea behind the Mahalanobis distance is that you are measuring how many standard deviations from the mean X is in the one dimensional case. In multidimensional cases, [itex] \Sigma[/itex] is going to be a positive (semi)definite matrix, which will have a unique positive (semi)definite square root which I will call S. S serves the same role as the standard deviation. Then the expression above is the same as

[tex] \left( S^{-1}(X-\mu) \right)^T \left(S^{-1}(X-\mu) \right) [/tex]

basically, you scale the random vector [itex] X-\mu[/itex] by the standard deviation, the same as you would in the one dimensional case.

anja.ende said:
[itex](X-\mu)^{T} Ʃ^{-1}(X-\mu)[/itex]

Ʃ is the covariance matrix. My silly question is why is the sigma placed in the middle of the dot product of the (X-μ) vector with itself. I am sure this makes sense mathematically (this reduces the output to a scalar) but I would like to know the intuitive reason behind it.
The expression ##(X-\mu)^T \Sigma^{-1}(X-\mu) = \sigma^2## defines a family of hyperellipsoids in the N-dimensional space in which X and μ live, characterized by the scalar parameter σ. I used σ intentionally. Think of σ as representing "standard deviations". For example, ##(X-\mu)^T \Sigma^{-1}(X-\mu) = 1## is the one sigma hyperellipsoid.

The Mahalanobis distance is essentially a measure of how many standard deviations a point X is from the mean μ.

Thank you guys!

Hello Anja,

Thank you for your question. The placement of the covariance matrix (Σ) in the Mahalanobis distance formula is not arbitrary and has a mathematical reasoning behind it. To understand this, let's first review what the Mahalanobis distance measures.

The Mahalanobis distance is a measure of how different two data points are from each other, taking into account the covariance between variables. In other words, it takes into consideration the correlation and scale of each variable, rather than simply looking at the distance between the points in each individual variable. This is especially useful when dealing with high-dimensional data, where the variables may be correlated with each other.

Now, let's look at the formula (X-μ)Ʃ^{-1}(X-μ). The first part, (X-μ), represents the difference between the two data points in each variable. The second part, Ʃ^{-1}, is the inverse of the covariance matrix, which essentially adjusts for the correlation between variables. By multiplying (X-μ) with Ʃ^{-1}, we are essentially normalizing the differences in each variable and taking into account their correlation. Finally, by multiplying the result with (X-μ)^{T}, we are taking the dot product of the normalized differences, resulting in a scalar value that represents the distance between the two data points.

In summary, the placement of Σ in the formula is crucial in taking into account the covariance between variables and producing a meaningful measure of distance between two data points. I hope this helps to clarify the reasoning behind it.

Best,

Related to Newbie question: Algebra of Mahalanobis distance

1. What is Mahalanobis distance?

Mahalanobis distance is a measure of the distance between a point and a distribution, taking into account the covariance of the variables. It is often used in multivariate analysis to compare the similarity of two data points.

2. How is Mahalanobis distance calculated?

The Mahalanobis distance is calculated by taking the squared difference between each variable of the two data points, dividing by the covariance matrix, and then taking the square root of the sum of these values.

3. What is the significance of Mahalanobis distance in statistics?

Mahalanobis distance is important in statistics because it allows for the comparison of data points that may have different scales and correlations. It also takes into account the variability and relationships between variables in a data set.

4. Can Mahalanobis distance be used for outliers detection?

Yes, Mahalanobis distance can be used for outliers detection. Points with a high Mahalanobis distance from the rest of the data set are considered outliers and can be further investigated to understand their unusual characteristics.

5. Is Mahalanobis distance affected by the number of variables in a data set?

Yes, Mahalanobis distance is affected by the number of variables in a data set. As the number of variables increases, the distance also increases, making it important to standardize the data before calculating the distance.