Newtonian mechanics - hillside fired projectile

In summary, the homework statement says that a canon is buried on a hillside so that the barrel is at the same height as the surface of the hill. The angle between the canonball's velocity and the horizontal has an angle called theta. The equation for the line that connects the firingpoint to the impact location on the hill is y= -tan(\theta)x. This line has a solution where the point (x, y) is a distance of v0*cosθ away from the firingpoint.
KUphysstudent

Homework Statement

A canon is burried on a hillside, so the barrel is exactly at the height of the surface. The hillside creates angle theta with vertical, where 0 degrees < theta < 90 degrees. A canonball is fired with speed v_0 perpendicular on the hillside. The angle between velocity_0 and horizontal also has angle theta. g is 9.8 and there is no air resistance.

a) Find the vertical distance from the firingpoint to the point where the canonball again has the same height as when it was fired.

b) Find the horizontal distance from the firingpoint to the impact location on the hillside.

11j0pq1.jpg

This is the exact text translated from my language. And sorry about my lack of paint skills.

Homework Equations

How am I supposed to find the distance when I have no variables?

The Attempt at a Solution

vox = v0*cosθ
voy = v0*sinθ

y = voy*t-1/2*g*t2
y = 0 = voy*t2-1/2*g*t2 = t2(voy-1/2*g*t2)
t2=0 and t2=(2*voy)/g
R = vox*t2

This is my first time using this forum, so I hope this is the style people want to see it in.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a couple of questions,
1) Does vertical distance imply total distance traveled between initial point and apex and back again--i.e. twice the max height above firing point?
2) Does impact location on the hillside imply that the projectile is impacting the same hillside, with slope of -cot(theta)?
In answer to your question--without additional information, you will be looking for solutions in terms of v_0 and theta.

You are told that the hillside makes angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the vertical which means it has angle, as in your picture, [itex]-\theta[/itex] (radians) with the horizontal. If we take the position of the barrel of the cannon to be (0, 0) in an xy- coordinate system with the y-axis vertical and x-axis horizontal we can write the equation of the line, as shown in your picture, [itex]y= -tan(\theta)x[/itex]. The cannon ball is fired perpendicular to the hillside so at angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to the horizontal, as you show. The x and y components are as you give, [itex]y(t)= -(g/2)t^2+ v_0 sin(\theta)t[/itex] and [itex]x(t)= v_0 cos(\theta)[/itex]. You want to find the point where the two graphs intersect. Replace the x and y in [itex]y= -tan(\theta)x[/itex] with [itex]y(t)= -(g/2)t^2+ v_0 sin(\theta)t[/itex] and [itex]x(t)= v_0 cos(\theta)[/itex] to get a single quadratic equation in t. Of course, one of the two solutions will be t= 0.

RUber said:
I have a couple of questions,
1) Does vertical distance imply total distance traveled between initial point and apex and back again--i.e. twice the max height above firing point?
2) Does impact location on the hillside imply that the projectile is impacting the same hillside, with slope of -cot(theta)?
In answer to your question--without additional information, you will be looking for solutions in terms of v_0 and theta.

1] vertical distance is from the initial point and to the point where it impacts the x-axis again. So a normal parabola with initial velocity and angle. that is what question (a) is about.
2] Then question (b) is where the projectile impacts the hillside when it goes under the x-axis.
Im sorry if my question is confusing, but I just translated the text in the assignment.
Also I have changed the picture to add the two parabolas hopefully helping, though they were not on the picture giving with the assignment.

b
rs6gkl.png

By the way thanks for your quick answer. myself is often that I don't know if you in some way to calculate the result in some sneaky way or they just want the formulas.

In that case, it looks like you have part (a) solved.
For part (b), define your points on the hill as pairs (x, f(x)) and do the same for your position function. I mean change t into a function of x, and use that in your functional form for y(t) to make y(x).
Then you should be able to 'generally' solve for where the curves intersect.

½ * g * t2 - (v0 * sinθ) * t + y = 0
t = (v0 * sinθ ± sqrt((-v0 * sinθ) - 4 (½ * g) * y)) / 2(½ * g)
t = (v0 * sinθ ± sqrt(v02 * sin2θ - 2 * g * y)) / g
Using the positive root
x = (v0 * cosθ) * t

I did it like this earlier, I just thought it wasnt good enough because I couldn't get a numerical result.

Related to Newtonian mechanics - hillside fired projectile

1. How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile fired on a hillside using Newtonian mechanics?

In order to calculate the trajectory of a projectile fired on a hillside, you will need to use the equations of motion from Newtonian mechanics. These equations take into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and the angle of the hillside. By plugging in these values, you can solve for the horizontal and vertical displacement of the projectile at any given time.

2. What assumptions are made when using Newtonian mechanics to analyze a hillside fired projectile?

One key assumption is that the projectile is being fired in a vacuum, which means there is no air resistance. Additionally, it is assumed that the hillside is a flat surface and the projectile is affected only by the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors, such as wind or air resistance, may affect the projectile's trajectory in real-world situations.

3. How does the angle of the hillside affect the trajectory of a fired projectile?

The angle of the hillside can greatly impact the trajectory of a fired projectile. When the hillside is steeper, the projectile will experience a greater vertical acceleration, causing it to travel a shorter distance horizontally. Conversely, a shallower hillside angle will result in a longer horizontal distance traveled by the projectile.

4. Can Newtonian mechanics be used to analyze a projectile fired on a curved hillside?

Yes, Newtonian mechanics can still be used to analyze a projectile fired on a curved hillside. However, the calculations will be more complex as the angle of the hillside will constantly change. In this case, it may be easier to break the curved hillside into smaller sections with constant angles and solve for the trajectory in each section.

5. How does the initial velocity of the projectile affect its trajectory on a hillside?

The initial velocity of the projectile is a crucial factor in determining its trajectory on a hillside. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer horizontal distance traveled by the projectile before it hits the ground. On the other hand, a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter horizontal distance traveled. It is important to note that the initial velocity must also be angled appropriately to achieve the desired trajectory on a hillside.

Back