Newtons 2nd law problem - how to interpret the break force

In summary: DIn summary, the problem involves finding the time and distance traveled by a car after its brakes are hit. Using Newton's second law and the given friction coefficient, the correct values for time and distance are calculated to be 3.33 seconds and 33.3 meters, respectively. The internal force between the brakes and wheels can be ignored, and it is assumed that there is no friction in the bearings of the car.
scienalc

Homework Statement

A car travels on a horizontal street, straightforward. In some moment of time (t = 0), having a velocity of 20 m/s, the break is hit. It is required to find the time and traveled distance before the car is still standing. The friction coefficient between the wheels and the street is 0.6.

Homework Equations

Newtons 2nd law

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a high school problem, that means it should be simple enough, but I'm puzzled by how to interpret the break force.
My attempt was: if we assume that the car is moving along the positive x-axis, in the moment when the break is hit, a negative force is applied in addition to the frictional resistance, but the car still moves in the positive direction, so there must be a force which "pushes" it forward. As a result, I get t = 3.33s and s = 120m, but this is wrong.

PS: I tried even differential calculus, and would also like to ask, how one handles
[itex]\int\frac{1}{x}dx[/itex] in the bounds starting from 0 to some number t?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi scienalc! welcome to pf! :smile:

(here's some help with your english :wink:
A car travels on a horizontal street, straight forward. At time t = 0, at a velocity of 20 m/s, the brake is hit. It is required to find the time and the distance traveled before the car stops.)

scienalc said:
… a negative force is applied in addition to the frictional resistance,

no, the only horizontal external force is the friction

(the force between the brake and the wheels is an internal force, and should be ignored)
… but the car still moves in the positive direction, so there must be a force which "pushes" it forward.

no, that is nonsense, you must stop thinking like that :redface:

Newton's first law … a body keeps moving if there is no force … it does not need "pushing"
As a result, I get t = 3.33s and s = 120m, but this is wrong.

how did you get that? :confused:

start by finding the acceleration

what is it? :smile:

thank you
actually, I was assuming that what you said, and took only the frictional force into account: ma = -(mi)mg,
then dv = -(mi)gdt,
and from there (first integral v1=20 m/s -> v2=0 and second t1=0 -> t2=t)
I got v(t) = (mi)gt (1)

then the required time i calculated as: t = v1/((mi)g) = 3.33s
after that in the equation (1): dx = (mi)gtdt
and got x = 0.5*v1^2/((mi)g) = 66.67m (sry don't know why i wrote 120m :D )

PS: would that mean that the car would need the same amount of time to stop, if the break wasn't hit (the car just left to the friction force to eventually stop it)?

Last edited:
hi scienalc! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)
scienalc said:
then the required time i calculated as: t = v1/((mi)g) = 3.33s
after that in the equation (1): dx = (mi)gtdt
and got x = 0.5*v1^2/((mi)g) = 66.67m

the 3.33 looks ok

i don't see how you get 66.67 from your formula :confused:
PS: would that mean that the car would need the same amount of time to stop, if the break wasn't hit (the car just left to the friction force to eventually stop it)?

no, they're the same thing

the brake causes the friction force that decelerates the car

(in exam questions like this, it is always assumed that there is no friction in the bearings, and that the car will continue infinitely far at the same speed if it isn't braked! :biggrin:)

thanks a lot again for the quick answer (and the µ of course) :D

tiny-tim said:
i don't see how you get 66.67 from your formula :confused:
)
it's ok, i found my mistake, the correct value for distance should be 33.3m (you get that from the equation x(t) = (µ*g*t^2)/2 which represents traveled distance in dependence of time, and use that t = 3.33s)

funny thing, this is what I first did, but then for some reason I bugged myself with that breaking force and all went down and become confusing

FAQ: Newtons 2nd law problem - how to interpret the break force

1. What is Newton's 2nd law and how does it relate to break force?

Newton's 2nd law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the context of break force, this means that the force required to break an object is directly related to its mass and the acceleration it experiences.

2. How do you calculate break force using Newton's 2nd law?

To calculate break force, you can use the formula F=ma, where F is the force required to break the object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration it experiences. By inputting the values for mass and acceleration, you can calculate the break force needed to break the object.

3. What units are used to measure break force?

Break force is typically measured in Newtons (N), which is the unit of force in the International System of Units (SI). However, other units such as pounds (lb) or kilograms (kg) may also be used depending on the context.

4. How does the surface area of an object affect break force?

The surface area of an object does not directly affect break force. However, it can indirectly influence break force by affecting the force distribution and the amount of pressure an object experiences. For example, a larger surface area may distribute the force over a larger area, reducing the pressure and potentially decreasing the break force needed.

5. Can Newton's 2nd law be applied to objects with complex shapes?

Yes, Newton's 2nd law can be applied to objects with complex shapes. This is because the law is based on the mass and acceleration of an object, which are independent of its shape. However, it may be more challenging to determine the exact values of mass and acceleration for complex objects, making the calculation of break force more difficult.

Back