Newton's 2nd Law problem (I think )

In summary, the block goes up the plane for a total of .81s and has a final velocity of zero at the top of the plane.
frankfjf
Alright, here's the problem:

A block is projected up a frictionless inclined plane with initial speed v0 = 7.917811929967 m/s. The angle of incline is = 36.8°. (a) How far up the plane does it go? (b) How long does it take to get there? (c) What is its speed when it gets back to the bottom?

I'm not sure how to solve frictionless inclined plane problems, but I gave it a shot and here's what I got:

Vi = 7.9
Theta = 36.8
g = 9.8

The above are of course the known variables, and it seems I'm attempting to solve for vertical distance, time, and speed on the way back.

Here are the variables I think I've solved for:

I wasn't able to solve for Normal Force since I'm unsure how that works.

m = ?
t(time) = .81s

Vf = 0 (I assume that since they want to know how far up the block gets, it won't make it all the way up and even if it does it'll come to a stop, so I'm assuming the final velocity is zero.)

However, when I plug in what I know and what I think I know into the formula:

d(distance/displacement) = Vi(t) + (1/2a)(t^2)

I do not get the right answer.

To solve for time I attempted to use the formula:

Vf = Vi + at

But I'm not sure if I'm following proper proceedure.

If not, are the formulas involved at least correct?

Other than that, do I need the formulas for projectile motion or no?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the a) problem, using the law of conservation of energy
For b), let write out the Newton's second law and find the acceleration of the object. Then the time is [tex]\Delta t=\frac{v_0}{a}[/tex]
For c), doing as the a).

I don't understand what you mean..

For a), the final gravitational energy is

[tex]W=mgl\sin\theta[/tex]

The initial kinetic energy is

[tex]K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

The friction force is

[tex]F=\mu mg\cos\theta[/tex]

The law of conservation of energy

[tex]K=Fl+W[/tex]

And continue...

Related to Newton's 2nd Law problem (I think )

What is Newton's 2nd Law?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

How do you calculate the acceleration of an object using Newton's 2nd Law?

The equation for Newton's 2nd Law is a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the object. To calculate the acceleration, we can rearrange the equation to a = F/m or F = ma. This means that the acceleration of an object is equal to the net force acting on the object divided by its mass.

What is the difference between mass and weight in Newton's 2nd Law?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. In Newton's 2nd Law, mass is used to determine the object's resistance to acceleration, while weight is used to calculate the net force acting on the object.

How does Newton's 2nd Law apply to real-world problems?

Newton's 2nd Law is applicable to a wide range of real-world problems, such as calculating the acceleration of a car or determining the force needed to lift an object. It is also used in engineering, sports, and many other fields to design and improve systems and devices.

What are some common misconceptions about Newton's 2nd Law?

One common misconception is that objects with more mass will always have more acceleration. In reality, the acceleration of an object also depends on the net force acting on it. Another misconception is that Newton's 2nd Law only applies to objects in motion, when in fact it can also be used to calculate the force needed to keep an object at rest.

Back