Newton's 3rd Law and Acceleration

In summary, the problem involves two teenagers pulling a 3.6 kg sled with a force of 55 N at an angle of 35 degrees relative to the direction of motion, while the snow exerts a retarding force of 57 N opposite to the direction of motion. To find the acceleration of the sled and child, you need to resolve the forces into x and y components and then find the resultant force in the x-direction. The net force is the sum of all the forces acting on the sled and child. Using the formula F=ma, where m is the total mass, you can calculate the acceleration of the sled and child. It is important to use the correct components of the forces and to take into account all the
wadini
To give a 19-kg child a ride, two teenagers pull on a 3.6 kg- sled with ropes. Both teenagers pull with a force of 55 N at an angle of 35 degrees relative to the forward direction, which is the direction of motion. In addition, the snow exerts a retarding force on the sled that points opposite to the direction of motion, and has a magnitude of 57 N .

Find the acceleration of the sled and child.

What I am doing is adding the weight of the child and the sled and using that as my mass and then finding the acceleration of the two kids pulling the kid by using a=f/m and then I did that same thing for the kid... I don't know what to do from there...any suggestions? What am I forgetting?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to use F=ma indeed. Don't forget that the formula in reality is [itex]\sum F=ma[/itex] which we usually don't write down. There is only an acceleration if there is a net force acting on an object. What is the net force on the sled+child in the x-direction?

What you should do is resolve the 55N forces into x and y components, then find the resultant force(F) in the x direction. Then use F=ma where m is the mass of the child+sled.

isn't the net force 55+57?

wait a minute, are you telling me to use the angles to find an x and y value?

No the net force is not 55N+57N. Read the problem statement precisely. It says that the retarding force opposite to the direction of motion, F is a vector after all.

Yes technically you have to calculate both the x and y components of the force. But intuitively you know that the pullers won't lift the sled vertically, so you can just calculate the x-component only. You can of course always check if mg>F_y.

Tip: If a force problem involves angles then you can be pretty certain you actually have to use those angles.

OKay so to find Fx I just did Fx=57sin(35) and that equals 32.69 and that is what I divided by the total mass 22.6 and came to the answer (may not be the right answer) a=1.45...is that basically it or did I just get lucky?

You calculated the y-component instead of the x-component. You also only calculated one force and not the net force.

net force= mass times acceleration

Cyosis said:
You calculated the y-component instead of the x-component. You also only calculated one force and not the net force.

net force= mass times acceleration

Cyosis is right, you want to solve for the x component of the force which is the cosine of the angles, also you have two teenagers pulling in that direct thus two such forces. Add those resulting forces to the opposite of the force created by the snow and that is your net force.

and as Cyosis said

net Force = total mass * acceleration. That should give you a much more reasonable answer.

Related to Newton's 3rd Law and Acceleration

1. What is Newton's 3rd Law?

Newton's 3rd Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, the force exerted by one object on the other is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the second object on the first.

2. How does Newton's 3rd Law relate to acceleration?

According to Newton's 3rd Law, the force exerted by one object on another will result in an equal and opposite force acting on the first object. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will accelerate in the opposite direction with the same magnitude. In other words, the forces acting on two interacting objects are equal and opposite, but their accelerations may differ depending on their masses.

3. Can Newton's 3rd Law be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's 3rd Law applies to all types of motion, whether it is linear, circular, or rotational. This is because forces always occur in pairs and their magnitudes and directions are always equal and opposite, regardless of the type of motion involved.

4. How does Newton's 3rd Law impact the motion of objects?

Newton's 3rd Law has a direct impact on the motion of objects. When an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will experience an equal and opposite force, causing it to accelerate in the opposite direction. This means that without an external force acting on an object, it will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.

5. Can an object experience acceleration without any external forces acting on it?

No, according to Newton's 3rd Law, every action must have an equal and opposite reaction. This means that in order for an object to experience acceleration, there must be an external force acting on it. Without a force, an object will either remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity due to its inertia.