Newton's 3rd Law Chair situation

• Thread starter wooker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the logic behind Newton's third law of motion in regards to a chair breaking when someone sits on it. According to the equation F(a on b) = F(b on a), the chair exerts an equal force back when someone sits on it. However, if the weight applied to the chair is too much for it to handle, it will break due to material stress and deformation. This explains why the chair breaks and the person begins to accelerate.
wooker

Homework Statement

I would like to ask a question concerning the 3rd law. For example I want to say that I sit on a chair and it breaks. Is it logical to say that " my action force was greater than the chair's reaction force so the chair broke?" If it is not logical to say this, what would explain it? How did the chair break?

Homework Equations

F(a on b) = F(b on a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I do understand that when I sit on the chair, the chair will exert an equal force back.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you sit on a chair the chair exerts a force up on you to keep gravity from accelerating you down. Likewise because of Newtons third law you apply the same force down on the chair (i.e the chair "feels" your added weight). This weight your applying down on the chair will cause some small material stress and deformation. If you apply to much weight to the chair for it to apply back up then the chair will break and you will begin to accelerate.

Related to Newton's 3rd Law Chair situation

1. What is Newton's 3rd law of motion?

Newton's 3rd law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force back in the opposite direction.

2. How does Newton's 3rd law apply to a chair situation?

In a chair situation, when you sit down on a chair, your body exerts a downward force on the chair. According to Newton's 3rd law, the chair will exert an equal and opposite force on your body, keeping you in equilibrium and preventing you from falling through the chair.

3. Is Newton's 3rd law only applicable to objects in motion?

No, Newton's 3rd law applies to both stationary and moving objects. For example, in the chair situation, the chair is stationary but still exerts an equal and opposite force on the person sitting on it.

4. Can Newton's 3rd law be violated?

No, Newton's 3rd law is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. The forces may seem unequal in certain situations, but this is due to the difference in masses and accelerations of the objects involved.

5. How does Newton's 3rd law explain the motion of objects?

Newton's 3rd law is one of the three laws of motion developed by Sir Isaac Newton. It explains how forces act on objects and how those objects respond to those forces. When two objects interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other, causing them to accelerate in opposite directions.