Newtons 3rd Law (Ropes, Pulley)

In summary, two masses, 2.5 kg and 3.5 kg, connected by a string over a friction-less pulley, were released. The magnitude of the acceleration of both masses is the same but in opposite directions. The tension in the string can be found by solving two equations with two unknowns. One mass is accelerating upwards with "a" and the other is accelerating downwards with "-a".
PhysicsNoob76

Homework Statement

A 2.5 kg mass is attached to a 3.5 kg mass by a light string that passes over a friction-less pulley. The masses are released.

a) What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the masses?
b) What is the tension in the string?

Homework Equations

(I think) Ft - mg = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew 2 free body diagrams for both the weights and they both have Fg and Ft on the y.

M5wh7.jpg

On this 6th line, starting with (2.5)(a)... I made it so that Ft2 = Ft2
My answer was suppose to be 6.54 m/s in the work I showed because the acceleration of the bigger weight will accelerate negatively. So ignore the minus sign for my answer to a =
I think I've done the best I could, but my answer is still wrong, not sure why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The magnitude of the acceleration will be the same, but in opposite directions.

lewando said:
The magnitude of the acceleration will be the same, but in opposite directions.

Yeah, I knew that, I should have included that too. I need actual with with the question though.

You have 2 equations, 2 unknowns (one needs fixing-- one of the masses should be accelerating upwards-- use "a", the other, downwards-- use "-a"). Solve for a.

lewando said:
You have 2 equations, 2 unknowns (one needs fixing-- one of the masses should be accelerating upwards-- use "a", the other, downwards-- use "-a"). Solve for a.

I've done some changes, but I am still getting it wrong...

Since the heavier one is accelerating downward, replace "a" in line 2 with "-a". Try again.

lewando said:
Since the heavier one is accelerating downward, replace "a" in line 2 with "-a". Try again.

Ohhhhhhh, thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu. I re-did my whole thing and now it works!

Related to Newtons 3rd Law (Ropes, Pulley)

What is Newton's 3rd Law?

Newton's 3rd Law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How does Newton's 3rd Law apply to ropes?

In the context of ropes, Newton's 3rd Law can be seen when two objects are connected by a rope and one object applies a pulling force on the rope. The rope then exerts an equal and opposite force on the other object, causing it to move in the opposite direction.

What is the role of a pulley in Newton's 3rd Law?

Pulleys are used to change the direction of a force. In the context of Newton's 3rd Law, when a force is applied to one side of the pulley, the pulley exerts an equal and opposite force on the other side. This allows for the force to be redirected and applied to a different object.

Can Newton's 3rd Law be applied to objects in motion?

Yes, Newton's 3rd Law can be applied to objects in motion. When two objects are in motion and collide, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other. This can be seen in situations such as a car crash, where the force of one car hitting another results in both cars experiencing equal and opposite forces.

What are some real-life examples of Newton's 3rd Law in action?

Some real-life examples of Newton's 3rd Law include walking, where your feet push against the ground and the ground pushes back with an equal force, and a rocket launching, where the force of the rocket's engines pushing down on the ground causes the rocket to launch upwards with an equal and opposite force.