Newtons cooling law DE, mathematical approach

In summary, Newton's law of cooling states that the rate of cooling of an object is inversely proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings. The problem the speaker is having is determining the time at which someone died using this information.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I have this one problem dealing with Newton's law of cooling:

[tex]\frac{{dT}}{{dt}} = - k(T - A)[/tex]

I'm basically trying to determine at what time someone died! The info I have is that at time of death, the temperature was 98.6 degrees, at 10 AM it was at 92 degrees, and at 2PM it was at 86 degrees. The surrounding temperature, A, was 78 degrees and constant. Unfortunately, the book does not give an example as to how this DE works.

I have a feeling I need to do this:

[tex]\frac{{dT}}{{(T - 78)}} = - kdt[/tex]

And integrate it… but I'm not sure how I would do that… especially with it just being k*dt. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What? you have a problem with kdt? What is the integral of a constant?

If dT/(T-78), try a simple substitution: let u= T- 78 so du= dT. Can you integrate du/u??

[tex]\int\frac{{dT}}{{(T - 78)}} = - k\int dt\Rightarrow\ln (T - 78) = - kt+C[/tex]

Last edited:
Well, your approach looks perfectly fine to me.
Alternatively, you could introduce the the dependent variable u(t)=T(t)-A,
and recognizing that u obeys the diff. eq [itex]\frac{du}{dt}=-ku[/itex]
whereby you see that we have:
[itex]u(t)=Ce^{-kt}\to{T}(t)=A+Ce^{-kt}[/itex]
If you let t=0 correspond to 10 AM, then you can determine C and k from the info known at that time, along with the info known at 2P.M.
Finally, use the info about the body temp. at time of death to determine when he died.

I got to the second line benorin stated and now I am stuck again... I feel I need to find 'k' but I don't have an initial condition to work with, only a time change...

arildno said:
[itex]u(t)=Ce^{-kt}\to{T}(t)=A+Ce^{-kt}[/itex]
If you let t=0 correspond to 10 AM, then you can determine C and k from the info known at that time, along with the info known at 2P.M.
Finally, use the info about the body temp. at time of death to determine when he died.

Oh so are you trying to say I could use 10:00AM as a t=0 and simply use the negative value (would I get a negative value?) to determine how long before 10:00am he died?

Yup! :smile:

And yes, you'll get a negative value.

Ahhhh there we go! -2.75 hours later... so 7:14am!

Related to Newtons cooling law DE, mathematical approach

What is Newton's cooling law DE?

Newton's cooling law DE (differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which an object cools down in a surrounding environment. It states that the rate of change of temperature of an object is directly proportional to the difference between the object's temperature and the temperature of its surroundings.

How is Newton's cooling law DE derived?

Newton's cooling law DE is derived from the principles of thermodynamics and heat transfer. It is based on the assumption that the rate of heat transfer is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, as well as the surface area and material properties of the object.

What is the mathematical approach to solving Newton's cooling law DE?

The mathematical approach to solving Newton's cooling law DE involves using calculus and integrating the equation to find the temperature of the object at a specific time. This can be done by using initial conditions, such as the initial temperature of the object and the temperature of the surroundings.

What are the limitations of Newton's cooling law DE?

Newton's cooling law DE has several limitations, including the assumption of a constant ambient temperature and the neglect of other factors such as convection and radiation. It also does not take into account the non-uniformity of temperature within an object.

How is Newton's cooling law DE used in practical applications?

Newton's cooling law DE is used in many practical applications, such as predicting the cooling rate of food and beverages, calculating the cooling time of electronic components, and analyzing the cooling process of metals in manufacturing. It is also used in weather forecasting and climate modeling.