Newton's law to find acceleration

In summary, the block is accelerated 8.134 m/s^2 when it is pushed uphill by a force twice its weight.
Mangoes

Homework Statement

A block of mass m lies on a surface thirty degrees above the horizontal. A force with a magnitude equal to twice the weight of the block pushes it uphill. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.4, find the acceleration of the block.

Homework Equations

Newton's laws of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

Drew free body diagram:

http://i.imgur.com/dA7MxvM.png

If I choose my coordinate axes so that the x-axis is parallel to the ramp,

ƩFy = 0
ƩFx = ma

First the x-components:

ƩFx = 2wsin60 - wsin60 - fk = ma

I know that fk = μn, I know μ but don't know n.

To find n from the y-components:

ƩFy = n - 2wcos60 - wcos30 = 0
n = w(2cos60 + cos30)

Substituting n into the x-component equation:

ƩFx = 2wsin60 - wsin60 - μ(w(2cos60 + cos30)) = ma

ƩFx = w(2sin60 - sin60 - 0.5cos60 + 0.25cos30) = ma

0.83w = ma

Weight is the product of mass and acceleration due to gravity

(0.83)mg = ma
0.83g = a

a = 8.134 m/s^2

This question was on a small quiz I took today and although I don't have the answer with me, I remember seeing that the answer was near 7.8 and not 8.134. Where am I going wrong with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
you seem to be assuming the 2w force is horizontal. It is not entirely clear, but I would assume it's pointing up the slope.

When I wrote the question in the original post I was just writing what I could recall from memory.

Now that it's been a while, I'm not so sure whether or not the real question stated a reason for believing the force was horizontal or in the direction of the slanted field... It's possible that I just goofed and assumed it was horizontal for some reason or I just can't remember but it did state it, but in any case, wouldn't the real answer have to be higher than the acceleration I provided in my post?

I guess a better question would be if my line of reasoning is correct (assuming the force is horizontal). While I don't remember the question word-for-word, I do know that it was the same reasoning I used in the quiz.

EDIT:

Nevermind, checked my work again and there was a sign error anyways. It might have been that I just goofed and assumed the force was horizontal for some strange reason...

The cos(30) is supposed to be negative instead of positive which leads to a much lower acceleration. The higher acceleration in my prof's answer might be due to what you said.

Last edited:

Related to Newton's law to find acceleration

What is Newton's law to find acceleration?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

How is Newton's law to find acceleration used in science?

This law is used to calculate the acceleration of an object when the net force acting on it is known. It is also used to understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

What is the formula for Newton's law to find acceleration?

The mathematical formula for Newton's second law is F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

Can Newton's law to find acceleration be applied to any object?

Yes, this law can be applied to any object, regardless of its size, shape, or composition. It is a fundamental law of physics that applies to all objects in motion.

Can Newton's law to find acceleration be used to find the net force acting on an object?

Yes, if the mass and acceleration of an object are known, Newton's second law can be rearranged to solve for the net force. The formula would be F = m x a, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.