Newton's laws. Force and Tension help

In summary, the conversation is about solving two problems related to forces and acceleration. For the first problem, a 1420 kg jet engine is attached to a passenger jet by three bolts, with each bolt supporting one-third of the load. The force on each bolt is calculated as 4638.7 N. In the second problem, a force of 10 N is applied to a FedEx box of mass 1.0 kg, which is connected by a cord to a UPS box of mass 2.5 kg on a frictionless surface. The tension in the cord is to be determined. Equations for solving the problems are provided, but the correct solution for the second problem is still being determined.
Matt12345

Homework Statement

A 1420 kg jet engine is fastened to the fuselage of a passenger jet by just three bolts (this is the usual practice). Assume that each bolt supports one-third of the load.

(a) Calculate the force on each bolt as the plane waits on line for clearance to take off.

(b) During flight, the plane encounters turbulence, which suddenly imparts an upward vertical acceleration of 2.1 m/s2 to the plane. Calculate the force on each bolt now.

My second question is this...
2. A force F of magnitude 10 N is applied to a FedEx box of mass m2 = 1.0 kg. The force is directed up a plane tilted by θ = 37°. The box is connected by a cord to a UPS box of mass 2.5 kg on the floor. The floor, plane, and pulley are frictionless, and the masses of the pulley and cord are negligible. What is the tension in the cord?

hrw7_5-66.gif

Homework Equations

Fnet = m * a

I think these equations work, not sure though.
F-T-m2*g*sin37= m2 * a1
T= m1 * a2
(F-T- m2 * g * sin37)/m2= T/m1

The Attempt at a Solution

1. (a). I got this one correct, it is 4638.7 N.

(b). This one I thought I did correct but it keeps telling me I am doing it wrong. I did (1420 * 9.80) - (1420 * 2.1) = 10934. Then I devided 10934 by 3 and got 3644.7 but it keeps saying that is wrong.

As for the second question, I wasn't sure how to work those problems as those equations require the acceleration, and I wasn't sure how to get that.

I tried to do 2.5*cos37, but then I though that you couldn't do that with the weight. I am really stuck on this one.

Attachments

• hrw7_5-66.gif
    hrw7_5-66.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for question 1 part b:

there is an upward vertical acceleration =2.1 m/s*s .. What you have done is assuming that this acceleration is divided into 3 parts, try applying this acceleration (2.1) to each part , what answer you will end up??

As for question 2, I suggest you start by drawing free body diagrams for m1 and m2 , and see what forces act on each of them by applying Newtons 2nd law ..

Related to Newton's laws. Force and Tension help

What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between forces and the motion of objects. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still used today to understand the behavior of objects in motion.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction.

How do force and tension work together?

Force and tension are both types of forces that act on objects. Force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate, while tension is a force exerted by a rope, string, or other material when it is pulled taut. In many situations, tension is used to counteract the force of gravity or other external forces on an object.