Newton's Laws: Force of Tension

In summary, Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction on the first object. Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched and it is an example of Newton's Third Law. The force of tension is equal to the magnitude of the applied force and can be calculated using Newton's Second Law. According to Newton's Third Law, the force of tension will always be equal to the applied force, meaning it can never be greater. Tension is used in many real-life situations, such as in bridges, ropes, and pulley systems,
mcode

Homework Statement

A mountain climber, in the process of crossing between two cliffs by a rope, pauses to rest. She weighs 600 N. As the drawing shows, she is closer to the left cliff than to the right cliff, with the result that the tensions in the left and right sides of the rope are not the same. Find the tensions in the rope (a) to the left and (b) to the right of the mountain climber.

http://www.pitt.edu/~mis98/ch04p_102.gif

Homework Equations

Net Force = Mass * Acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how the force of tension works. If it was one rope I could assume that all the tension was on that, but with the two ropes I'm not sure how to figure out how much each rope is holding. I attempted to decompose the force of tension but then didn't know how to find the components. I'm really lost on this problem and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mcode said:

Homework Statement

A mountain climber, in the process of crossing between two cliffs by a rope, pauses to rest. She weighs 600 N. As the drawing shows, she is closer to the left cliff than to the right cliff, with the result that the tensions in the left and right sides of the rope are not the same. Find the tensions in the rope (a) to the left and (b) to the right of the mountain climber.

http://www.pitt.edu/~mis98/ch04p_102.gif

Homework Equations

Net Force = Mass * Acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how the force of tension works. If it was one rope I could assume that all the tension was on that, but with the two ropes I'm not sure how to figure out how much each rope is holding. I attempted to decompose the force of tension but then didn't know how to find the components. I'm really lost on this problem and any help would be greatly appreciated.
The woman is in equilibrium. No accleration in x direction and no acceleration in y direction.
In both the ropes, tension will be along the 2 segments of the ropes. The angles at which the tensions work are given. The y components of tensions will balance the weight of the woman. and the x components will cancel out each other. Thus giving you 2 equations with two variables(Tensions in each segment). Solve it to get your answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Newton's Laws state that an object at rest will stay at rest unless acted upon by an external force. In this scenario, the mountain climber is at rest and therefore the net force acting on her must be zero. This means that the forces acting on her must be balanced.

In order to find the tension in the rope, we can use the equation Net Force = Mass * Acceleration. Since the climber is at rest, there is no acceleration, so the net force must be zero. This means that the force of tension on the left side of the rope must be equal and opposite to the force of tension on the right side of the rope.

To find the tension on each side of the rope, we can use the fact that the total tension in the rope is equal to the weight of the climber. This is because the rope is the only thing holding the climber up. Therefore, the tension on the left side of the rope is equal to the weight of the climber (600 N) minus the tension on the right side of the rope. Similarly, the tension on the right side of the rope is equal to the weight of the climber (600 N) minus the tension on the left side of the rope.

To summarize, the tension on the left side of the rope is equal to 600 N minus the tension on the right side of the rope, and the tension on the right side of the rope is equal to 600 N minus the tension on the left side of the rope. This means that both tensions are equal to half of the weight of the climber, which is 300 N. Therefore, the tension on both sides of the rope is 300 N.

In conclusion, the tension in the rope on the left side of the climber is 300 N and the tension on the right side of the climber is also 300 N. This satisfies Newton's Laws as the net force is zero and the forces are balanced.

Related to Newton's Laws: Force of Tension

What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction on the first object.

How is tension related to Newton's Laws?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched. It is related to Newton's Laws because it is an example of Newton's Third Law. When an object is pulled by a rope or string, the object exerts a force on the rope in one direction, and the rope exerts an equal force in the opposite direction on the object.

What is the force of tension?

The force of tension is the amount of force exerted by a string, rope, or other object when it is pulled or stretched. It is equal to the magnitude of the force applied to the string or rope. This force can be calculated using Newton's Second Law: force equals mass times acceleration.

Can tension ever be greater than the applied force?

No, according to Newton's Third Law, the force of tension will always be equal to the applied force. This means that if an object is pulling on a string with a force of 10 Newtons, the string will also be pulling on the object with a force of 10 Newtons in the opposite direction. The two forces will always be equal and opposite.

How can tension be used in real life?

Tension is used in many real-life situations, such as in bridges, ropes, and pulley systems. In bridges, tension is used to distribute the weight of the bridge and keep it stable. In ropes, tension is used to lift objects or secure items in place. In pulley systems, tension is used to transfer force from one point to another. Tension is also used in many sports, such as rock climbing, where ropes are used to support and protect climbers.

Back