Newton's Laws of Motion - Force Problem

In summary, The target exerts an average force of -435N on the arrow, causing it to penetrate 3.8cm. The arrow applies an equal and opposite force of 435N to the target. When a second identical arrow strikes the target at 42m/s, the target exerts the same average force of -435N, causing the arrow to penetrate a depth which is not given.
Yshai24

Homework Statement

A 0.075-kg arrow hits the target at 21 m/s and penetrates 3.8cm before stopping. (a) What average force did the target exert on the arrow? (b) What average force did the arrow exert on the target? (c) An identical arrow strikes the target at 42m/s. If the target exerts the same average force as before, what's the penetration depth?

Known: mass: .075kg velocity (?) 21m/s, displacement: 3.8cm

Homework Equations

Here I am a little confused. (Or a lot confused)
Fnet=m x a

a=velocity final squared - velocity initial squared / 2(Δ)? Not sure if this equation applies

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation to figure out the acceleration since I have the mass. So here is where I am at:
a=0-(21m/s)2 / 2(.038m) = -5.8 x 10^3 m/s2

Then I used that to find Fnet=m x a = (.075kg)(-5.8 x 10^3m/s2)= -435N

I feel like I am on a completely wrong track and am not sure how to answer the question. Is the target applying a force of -435N?

Any help in the right direction is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

V/r
Jesse

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good! Yes , if the arrow is moving left to right, the target applies a force on the arrow of 435 N to the left. What force and in what direction does the arrow apply on the target?

Related to Newton's Laws of Motion - Force Problem

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three fundamental principles that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting on it. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still used today to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion.

What is the First Law of Motion?

The First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, an object will not change its state of motion unless a force is applied to it.

What is the Second Law of Motion?

The Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. However, the more mass an object has, the less it will accelerate for a given force.

What is the Third Law of Motion?

The Third Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when a force is applied to an object, the object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the source of the original force.

How are Newton's Laws of Motion used in real life?

Newton's Laws of Motion have countless applications in our everyday lives. They are used in the design of vehicles and structures, the study of sports and athletics, and even in the functioning of our own bodies. For example, the use of seatbelts and airbags in cars is based on the First Law of Motion, while the propulsion of rockets is based on the Third Law of Motion.