Newton's Shell theorem- Gravity inside spherical shell

In summary, the text states that on a point mass at point outside a uniform spherical shell of density, the gravitational force is just as if the entire mass of the shell is concentrated at the Centre of the shell. The text also states that the force of attraction due to a hollow spherical shell of uniform density on a point mass situated inside it, is zero.
Ahsan Khan
Hello all,

Guys in my textbook they state that on a point mass at point outside spherical shell of uniform density, the gravitational force is just as if the entire mass of the shell is concentrated at the Centre of shell.

The text also states, the force of attraction due to a hollow spherical shell of uniform density on a point mass situated inside it, is zero.

The text also tries to make us believe it by saying some qualitative arguments and end its message by saying, this works out be as stated.

I searched the Internet get some proofs. And I also come across what is called as shell theorem. The shell theorem as given by Newton seems to be the real thing. In shell theorem Newton actually proof what the text claims.

I am here not to know the maths of shell theorem nor for the easiest version of shell theorem or anything that contains the proof of book's claim. What I want, is to know, would I be correct, if I tell those of my students who know calculus but yet are not very comfortable with a bit harder calculus and who questioned me how can I state this things(appearing too simple) to tell them without proof; the below statement-

"Dear students your are asking me why I state it without proof but let me tell you one of the reasons why Sir Issac Newton invented Calculus is to prove this very thing and it took him 20 years. "

Thanks a bunch.

Physics news on Phys.org
The calculation is a two dimensional integration. Once calculus was invented, the theorem wasn't that hard.

mathman said:
The calculation is a two dimensional integration. Once calculus was invented, the theorem wasn't that hard.

Thanks mathsman, I actually want to know in historical the historical context that how big this was a deal for Newton to prove the two statements in my first post as taken from the textbook.

I am not after how easy or difficult the prove NOW! I want to know if this is ONE OF THE THINGS that has something to do with the intention of Claculas by Newton.

I heard from my favorite Walter lewin that it took Newton 20 years to prove this(what the book claims).

Regards

I am not a historian, so I don't know the details of the history of Newton's work. Just on the basis of the difficulties involved, I suspect inventing calculus took a lot more time than proving this theorem. He also needed to have the basic law of gravity. [itex]F=G\frac{m_1m_2}{r^2}[/itex].

Related to Newton's Shell theorem- Gravity inside spherical shell

1. What is Newton's Shell theorem?

Newton's Shell theorem is a mathematical law that describes the gravitational force inside a spherical shell. It states that the gravitational attraction exerted by a uniform spherical shell on a particle located inside the shell is zero.

2. How does Newton's Shell theorem relate to gravity?

Newton's Shell theorem explains the behavior of gravity inside a spherical shell. It states that the gravitational force inside the shell is zero, regardless of the mass or size of the shell. This is because the gravitational forces from all parts of the shell cancel each other out.

3. Does Newton's Shell theorem only apply to spherical shells?

Yes, Newton's Shell theorem only applies to spherical shells. This is because it relies on the symmetry and uniformity of a spherical shape to prove that the gravitational force inside the shell is zero.

4. What is the significance of Newton's Shell theorem?

Newton's Shell theorem is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of gravity inside a spherical shell. It also provides a simplified way to calculate the gravitational forces in situations involving spherical symmetry.

5. How is Newton's Shell theorem used in real-life situations?

Newton's Shell theorem is used in various real-life situations, including studying the behavior of gravity inside planets, stars, and other celestial bodies. It is also applied in engineering and physics calculations involving spherical objects, such as satellites and spacecraft.