Nickels and Dimes = some amount, how many nickels?

• Thread starter LearninDaMath
  • Start date
In summary, the problem can be solved by setting up a system of equations, which can be solved by multiplying the first equation by 10 and subtracting it from the second equation to eliminate one variable. This results in the solution for n, which can then be substituted into either equation to find the value of d. Another method is to solve for one variable in the first equation and substitute it into the second equation. Both methods yield the same solution of n = 3.
LearninDaMath

Homework Statement

Bob has 50 coins, all nickels and dimes, worth a total of 4.85. How many nickels does he possess?

Homework Equations

n + d = 50

5n + 10d = 485

Multiplying the first equation by 10, we obtain 10n+10d=500

Subtracting the second equation from the third equation, we get 5n=15, so n = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution. My question is:

Why do you multiply the first equation by 10 to begin with? Also, why do you then subtract one equation from the other? What is the rationale to it?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
LearninDaMath said:

Homework Statement

Bob has 50 coins, all nickels and dimes, worth a total of 4.85. How many nickels does he possess?

Homework Equations

n + d = 50

5n + 10d = 485

Multiplying the first equation by 10, we obtain 10n+10d=500

Subtracting the second equation from the third equation, we get 5n=15, so n = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution. My question is:

Why do you multiply the first equation by 10 to begin with? Also, why do you then subtract one equation from the other? What is the rationale to it?

Thanks in advance

If you multiply both sides of an equation by the same number, you get an equivalent equation (same solution set). Multiplying the first equation by 10 results in 10n + 10d = 500.

If you subtract the same number from both sides of an equation, you also get an equivalent equation. In this case, you subtracted 5n + 10d from 10n + 10d, and 485 from 500, resulting in 5n = 15, or n = 3. Since 5n + 10d = 485, you are actually subtracting the same number from both sides of the equation 10n + 10d = 500.

Another way to do this problem is to solve for either n or d in the first equation, and then substitute into the second equation.

ah i get it, it's like doing a "systems of equations" problem. Thanks! And yea, as soon as I posted the question, my sister recognized that it can also be solved using substition as you mentioned.

Related to Nickels and Dimes = some amount, how many nickels?

1. How many nickels are in a dime?

A dime is equal to 10 cents, and a nickel is equal to 5 cents. Therefore, there are 2 nickels in a dime.

2. If I have $1 in nickels and dimes, how many nickels do I have?

If you have $1 in nickels and dimes, you have a total of 20 coins. Since there are twice as many nickels as dimes, you have 10 nickels and 10 dimes.

3. How many nickels are needed to make 50 cents?

To make 50 cents, you need a combination of nickels and dimes. You can have 5 nickels and 5 dimes, or any other combination that adds up to 50 cents.

4. How many nickels and dimes do I need to make $2?

To make $2, you would need a total of 40 coins. You could have 20 nickels and 20 dimes, or any other combination that adds up to $2.

5. How do I calculate the number of nickels and dimes in a given amount?

To calculate the number of nickels and dimes in a given amount, first convert the amount to cents. Then, divide the number of cents by 5 to find the number of nickels and by 10 to find the number of dimes. Keep in mind that the result may not always be a whole number, so you may need to round up or down.