NiF₆ Complexes: Diamagnetic or Paramagnetic? Hybridization States Explained

• Thread starter Suraj M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compounds
In summary, the conversation is asking for clarification on the magnetic properties and hybridization states of [NiF₆]2- and [NiF₆]4- compounds. The individual has conflicting information regarding the diamagnetic nature of [NiF₆]4- and is unsure about the hybridization state. They are seeking assistance and guidance from others.
Suraj M
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Could anyone tell me if [NiF₆]2- and [NiF₆]4- are diamagnetic or paramagnetic?
And also their hybridization states? please?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well i thought F is a weak ligand and hence a high spin complex formed, but i read a few places where it says that [NiF₆]4- is diamagnetic, which doesn't make sense to me. And i think the hybridization should be sp³d² but if its diamagnetic then i don't know what to do :-( could you please help me out?
thank you

nothing more i can add...
could someone please help me out here?please?
could you at least point me in the right direction?

Related to NiF₆ Complexes: Diamagnetic or Paramagnetic? Hybridization States Explained

1. What are co-ordination compounds?

Co-ordination compounds are molecules or ions that contain a central metal ion or atom bonded to one or more ligands. These ligands are typically Lewis bases (molecules or ions with a lone pair of electrons) that donate electrons to the metal ion, forming a coordinate covalent bond.

2. What is the purpose of co-ordination compounds?

Co-ordination compounds have various applications in chemistry and industry. They are often used as catalysts in chemical reactions, as dyes and pigments in the production of paints and inks, and as components in medications and medical imaging agents.

3. How are co-ordination compounds named?

Co-ordination compounds are named using a systematic naming system, which includes the name of the central metal ion followed by the names of the ligands in alphabetical order. The number of each ligand present is indicated by a prefix (such as di-, tri-, or tetra-) and the overall charge of the compound is denoted by a Roman numeral in parentheses.

4. What is the difference between a co-ordination compound and a complex ion?

A co-ordination compound is a molecule or ion that contains a central metal ion or atom bonded to ligands. A complex ion is a charged species that contains a central metal ion or atom bonded to ligands and surrounded by counterions to balance the charge. In other words, a complex ion is a type of co-ordination compound.

5. How do co-ordination compounds form?

Co-ordination compounds form through the process of complexation, where the ligands coordinate to the central metal ion or atom. This can occur through various mechanisms, such as ligand substitution, where one ligand is replaced by another, or through direct coordination between the metal ion and the ligand.