Nilpotent, Idepmpotent, units in a ring

In summary, the student is trying to find the elements in a field without knowing the field. They use the idempotent, nilpotent, and unit equations to solve for a and b. However, they get stuck on b=d=1. They try different combinations of a and b until they find one that works.
missavvy

Homework Statement

Determine the nilpotent, idempotents and units in
a) F[x]/<x2-x>
b) F[x]/<x2>

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I do this without a specified Field?

For a) the elements in R would be {a+bx: a,b are in F; x2=x}
b) {a+bx: a,b in F; x2 =0}
I know what it means to be idempotent, nilpotent and a unit, I just don't understand how I can pin point exact elements without knowing the field.

Physics news on Phys.org
For (a), just take an element in F[X]/(X2-X). This always has the form aX+b. Now you need to find for which a and b, we have (aX+b)2=0. This a and b will in general be dependent of the field F (which you do not know in this case), however in this case the answer can be described without knowint the field in question.

So just take aX+b, and calculate it's square.

Is it the same for b) ? They will also be of the form ax +b right?

Yes, (b) will use thesame method!

So I get (ax+b)(ax+b) = a2x2 + 2bax + b2 = ax+b
and since x2 = x here, then a2x + 2bax + b2 = ax + b

Whats the best way to factor this? I have ba together so I'm not sure.
I tried

ax(a+ 2b -1) = b-b^2..

I got 0,1 as idempotents...

...sometimes it's the simple things that end up confusing me.

missavvy said:
So I get (ax+b)(ax+b) = a2x2 + 2bax + b2 = ax+b
and since x2 = x here, then a2x + 2bax + b2 = ax + b

OK, this is good, so you have that [tex](a^2+2ba)x+b^2=ax+b[/tex]. Now you'll have to find conditions on a and b. So for the above equation to hold, it must be true that

[tex]a^2+2ba=a[/tex] and [tex]b^2=b[/tex].

Now, can you get conditions on a and b from this?

Ok, I think I got it..
I'm working on b), where h(x)= x^2 for the units:
So then elements are of the form

{ax+b: a,b in F, x^2 =0}
Not sure if it's right, but I took
(ax+b)(cx+d) = 1

and expanded to get
axd + bcx + bd = 1

Then (ad + cb)x=0
and bd = 1

So b=d=1 or b=d=-1
-> a=-c

Err, am I going somewhere with this?

Most of it seems good, but

missavvy said:
So b=d=1 or b=d=-1

how did you arrive there? Can't b=2 and d=1/2 also be a good pick?

FAQ: Nilpotent, Idepmpotent, units in a ring

1. What is a nilpotent element in a ring?

A nilpotent element in a ring is an element x such that x^n = 0 for some positive integer n. In other words, when x is multiplied by itself n times, the result is always 0. This is often denoted as x^n = 0, where n is called the index of nilpotency.

2. What is an idempotent element in a ring?

An idempotent element in a ring is an element x such that x^2 = x. In other words, when x is multiplied by itself, the result is always equal to x. This is often denoted as x^2 = x.

3. Can a unit be nilpotent or idempotent in a ring?

No, a unit in a ring cannot be nilpotent or idempotent. This is because a unit has a multiplicative inverse, which means that when multiplied by itself, the result is always 1. In other words, a unit cannot satisfy the conditions for being nilpotent or idempotent.

4. What is the relationship between nilpotent and idempotent elements?

Nilpotent and idempotent elements are not mutually exclusive in a ring. In fact, an element can be both nilpotent and idempotent at the same time. For example, in the ring of integers modulo 4, the element 2 is both nilpotent (as 2^2 = 0) and idempotent (as 2^2 = 2).

5. How are nilpotent and idempotent elements used in rings?

Nilpotent and idempotent elements have various applications in ring theory. For example, they can be used to generate certain types of rings, such as Boolean rings or nil rings. Moreover, they play an important role in the study of factor rings and ideals in abstract algebra.