No Astrophysics classes at my school

In summary, the student is an undergraduate in Physics and is interested in Astrophysics, but their school does not offer many classes in that field. They are currently working on Interface research, which may not provide much experience in Astrophysics. They are wondering if there are any opportunities to gain experience in Astrophysics and improve their chances for graduate school, such as doing an REU or taking relevant courses. However, they are concerned about their limited options and time constraints. They are also considering taking a year off to study for the GRE.
denjay
I'm still an undergraduate in Physics and decided that Astrophysics is a very interesting possibility to focus on. The bad part is that my school (UIC) does not offer any classes close to Astronomy/Astrophysics other than a 100-level course with the description "Astronomy in the context of the scientific process, history and current events. Covers the Solar System, stars and galaxies and the origin and fate of the universe."

If I wanted to apply to a graduate school for Astrophysics, I would not have any experience in that field. Right now I'm working with a professor on some Interface research which would mostly be Condensed Matter. I'm pretty sure that this provides little to no experience with how Astro works. Is there any way for me to gain some experience with Astro and look better for graduate schools with this lack of options?

Edit: There is a 400-level Intro Geophysics course here. I'm not sure how much that applies but that is an option.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could do an REU in astrophysics, if you still have time.

I don't really have anymore time for an reu as my next summer will be filled with classes.

When I graduate I am planning on taking a year off to study fully for the gre. Would getting some kind of reu with a BS in physics be possible or is it mostly for undergrads?

You cannot do an REU if you already have your degree, it is only for undergrads. That doesn't mean you can't get a different research position, but I think it might be difficult outside of your own school.

courses in nuclear physics, atomic physics, plasma physics all can be useful to the aspiring astrophysicist, look around at your university.

Related to No Astrophysics classes at my school

1. Why are there no astrophysics classes offered at my school?

There can be a variety of reasons for this. Some schools may not have enough resources or qualified teachers to offer astrophysics classes. In other cases, the school may not have enough student interest or demand for astrophysics classes. Additionally, schools may choose to focus on other areas of science or have limited resources for science education.

2. Can I still study astrophysics on my own if my school doesn't offer classes?

Yes, you can definitely study astrophysics on your own. There are many online resources, books, and courses available for self-study. You can also join online communities or clubs to connect with others who are interested in astrophysics and learn from them.

3. Will not having astrophysics classes at my school hurt my chances of pursuing a career in astrophysics?

Not necessarily. While having astrophysics classes at your school can provide a strong foundation for pursuing a career in this field, it is not the only way to gain knowledge and skills. As mentioned before, you can still study on your own and participate in other activities or programs related to astrophysics to build your skills and knowledge.

4. Are there any alternative science classes that can also help me prepare for astrophysics?

Yes, there are many other science classes that can help you prepare for astrophysics. Physics, mathematics, and astronomy classes can provide a strong foundation for understanding the principles and concepts of astrophysics. Other classes such as chemistry, biology, and computer science can also be useful in this field.

5. What can I do to advocate for astrophysics classes at my school?

If you are passionate about having astrophysics classes at your school, you can reach out to your school administration or science department to express your interest and explain the benefits of having these classes. You can also gather support from other students who are interested in astrophysics and present a proposal or petition to the school. Additionally, you can reach out to local universities or organizations that offer astrophysics programs and see if they would be willing to collaborate with your school to offer classes or workshops.