No, I do not have a chart of trends in my text.

In summary: That would be really helpful.In summary, NaF has the shortest ionic bonds as well as highest lattice energy. RbCl has the lowest melting point.
lorka150
Out of KF, NaF, and RbCl, does NaF have the shortest ionic bonds as well as highest lattice energy, and RbCl have the lowest melting point?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't look like you've done much work on this... Read your chemistry book it will tell you all of these trends in the corresponding sections. You need to show at least some effort even if its not the correct answer.

I did, sorry. I just didn't type it all. I read through the trends, and just want to make sure I interpreted them correctly. I was under the impression tha the shorter bonds and highest lattice energy would be the same, because the increased lattice = stronger bonds, and the strong bonds are a high energy, and the shorter they are, the stronger they are.

Sorry that it was taken that way. GOsh, I feel stupid!

lorka150 said:
Out of KF, NaF, and RbCl, does NaF have the shortest ionic bonds as well as highest lattice energy, and RbCl have the lowest melting point?

Thanks
What do you think, and why? Show your attempt to solve this problem.

Hi Geoff
I explained my reasoning in the message above you. I thought that the highest lattice and shortest bonds correspond, and I know that as you move up and to the right that they are at the strongest - therefore because F is the farthest and Na is higher than K, I chose NaF.

For the lowest melting point, I was under the impression it would be the opposite (descendig and towards the left).

lorka150 said:
Hi Geoff
I explained my reasoning in the message above you. I thought that the highest lattice and shortest bonds correspond, and I know that as you move up and to the right that they are at the strongest - therefore because F is the farthest and Na is higher than K, I chose NaF.

For the lowest melting point, I was under the impression it would be the opposite (descendig and towards the left).
Bond length is determined by a number of factors, which, as Steve said, should be detailed in your text. Consider bond lengths of each ion and electronegativities. This page might aid your understanding.

Melting point is directly proportional to intermolecular forces. The more energy it takes to break the bonds between molecules, the higher the melting point.

Thanks for the link. I do not understand it, but thank you for your help.

lorka150 said:
Thanks for the link. I do not understand it, but thank you for your help.
Well, we'll do what we can until you do understand. First of all, do you have a chart of trends in your text?

Related to No, I do not have a chart of trends in my text.

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It comes in many forms, such as heat, light, sound, and kinetic energy.

What are the types of energy?

There are many types of energy, including thermal, nuclear, electromagnetic, chemical, and mechanical energy. Each type has its own unique properties and applications.

What are periodic trends?

Periodic trends refer to the patterns or trends that can be observed in the chemical and physical properties of elements as you move across a periodic table. These trends can help predict the behavior of elements and their compounds.

What is the periodic law?

The periodic law states that the properties of elements are periodic functions of their atomic numbers. This means that elements with similar properties will appear at regular intervals in the periodic table.

How does energy affect periodic trends?

Energy plays a crucial role in determining the physical and chemical properties of elements, which in turn affect their placement and behavior in the periodic table. For example, the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom (ionization energy) can help predict an element's reactivity. Additionally, the energy levels of electrons in an atom can affect an element's atomic size and chemical bonding behavior.

Back