No idea on how to do this problem

In summary, having no idea on how to do a problem indicates a lack of understanding or resources to approach the problem. To address this, it is important to remain calm and break down the problem into smaller parts. Seeking help from a teacher or classmate and using different problem-solving strategies can also be beneficial. To prevent this in the future, actively engaging in class, taking thorough notes, and seeking clarification can improve understanding and problem-solving skills.
dowz0r
Q: In the rectangle in the drawing, a charge is to be placed at the empty corner to make the net force on the charge at corner A point along the vertical direction. What charge (magnitude and algebraic sign) must be placed at the empty corner?

The picture shows a normal rectangle. The upper left and lower left corners have a sphere with a charge of +3μC, and the lower right corner has a sphere with a charge of +3μC. The upper right corner is the blank one and point A is located at the lower left sphere. The upper horizontal side/line shows a length of 4d, and the right vertical side/line shows d. I know you have to use f = k(q1)(q2) / r^2 , but I don't know where to go from there.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi dowz0r! welcome to pf! :smile:
dowz0r said:
… a charge is to be placed at the empty corner to make the net force on the charge at corner A point along the vertical direction.

if the net force is vertical, then you need the horizontal components of the forces to add to zero :wink:

Related to No idea on how to do this problem

What does it mean when I have no idea on how to do a problem?

Having no idea on how to do a problem means that you do not have a clear understanding of the concepts and skills required to solve the problem. It could also mean that you are lacking the necessary information or resources to approach the problem.

What should I do if I have no idea on how to do a problem?

If you have no idea on how to do a problem, the first step is to remain calm and not get discouraged. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also consult your notes, textbook, or ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

Why is it important to have an idea on how to do a problem?

Having an idea on how to do a problem is important because it allows you to effectively apply your knowledge and skills to solve the problem. It also helps you to build confidence in your abilities and improve your problem-solving skills.

What strategies can I use to approach a problem if I have no idea how to do it?

Some strategies you can use to approach a problem if you have no idea how to do it include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, making connections to previous knowledge and concepts, and seeking help from a teacher or classmate. You can also try different problem-solving techniques, such as drawing diagrams or creating a step-by-step plan.

How can I prevent having no idea on how to do a problem in the future?

To prevent having no idea on how to do a problem in the future, it is important to actively engage in class, take thorough notes, and review and practice regularly. It can also be helpful to ask questions and seek clarification when needed. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also improve your understanding and skills in a particular subject.