No idea what the textbook is doing

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and its solution using a similar method. However, it is noted that the book's solution is incorrect due to a discrepancy in the problem statement and the use of the wrong trigonometric function.
phospho
I mean, I used a similar method as they're using, but I didn't get their answer at all. Where did the x-4 come from? (I used x-6), also, I got d = (6-x)tan50 and d = xtan(3) solving this to get x = 4.04

Attachments

• PE.PNG
    PE.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:
I mean, I used a similar method as they're using, but I didn't get their answer at all. Where did the x-4 come from? (I used x-6), also, I got d = (6-x)tan50 and d = xtan(3) solving this to get x = 4.04

Looks like the book's solution is incorrect on two counts. First, the problem statement has changed at some point to have 6m as the length of the rod, while the solution assumes it's 4m. Second, I don't see how they can use the sine function since the hypotenuse's of the triangles are unknown (and not even labelled). They should use the tan function.

Related to No idea what the textbook is doing

1. What should I do if I am completely lost while reading a textbook?

If you are struggling to understand the material in a textbook, the first step is to take a deep breath and try not to panic. Then, go back and review any previous chapters or sections that may provide background information or context for the current material. If necessary, seek help from a classmate, teacher, or tutor.

2. How can I make sense of complex information in a textbook?

One strategy for understanding complex information in a textbook is to break it down into smaller, more manageable chunks. This could involve summarizing each paragraph or section in your own words, creating visual aids such as diagrams or mind maps, or discussing the material with a study group. It may also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the material with a fresh perspective.

3. What should I do if I don't understand the terminology used in a textbook?

If you encounter unfamiliar terminology while reading a textbook, it can be helpful to look up the definitions of these terms in a dictionary or online. You can also try to find examples or applications of the terminology to better understand its meaning in context. If you are still struggling, don't be afraid to ask a teacher or classmate for clarification.

4. What are some effective note-taking strategies for understanding a textbook?

Effective note-taking strategies can vary from person to person, but some general tips include actively engaging with the material by asking questions and summarizing key points, organizing your notes in a way that makes sense to you, and reviewing and revising your notes regularly. It can also be helpful to use different colors or formats (such as bullet points or diagrams) to distinguish between main ideas and supporting details.

5. How can I stay motivated while reading a textbook?

Staying motivated while reading a textbook can be challenging, but some strategies that may help include setting goals for yourself (such as completing a certain number of pages or chapters in a specific timeframe), taking breaks and rewarding yourself for completing sections, and finding ways to make the material more interesting or relevant to your own life or interests. It may also be helpful to study with a partner or in a group to keep each other accountable and motivated.