No Mass Objects: Can They Remain Stationary?

• Thread starter cubud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary: So they would go at the speed of light no matter how small their mass was.Photons do have relativistic mass (as they have energy) but their invariant mass is always zero. So they would go at the speed of light no matter how small their mass was.
cubud
Light has very little mass and always travels at the same speed. If I could adjust a body so that it had no mass would it remain stationary as the planet Earth flew off on its orbit around the Sun, or would it spread out evenly in all directions at the speed of light?

Let's put aside the matter of the massive explosion :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
I am curious how you would "adjust" a body to change its mass at all. An object with zero mass must move at the speed of light or it wouldn't exist at all.

dulrich said:
I am curious how you would "adjust" a body to change its mass at all. An object with zero mass must move at the speed of light or it wouldn't exist at all.

That's an avenue you really don't want to go down :) I just wanted to know if objects without mass will always be traveling at the speed of light.

cubud said:
I just wanted to know if objects without mass will always be traveling at the speed of light.

Yes.

Why not faster? I was told that the photon traveled at the speed of light but it has a very, very small mass that is almost negligible (but still exists). So why wouldn't a smaller mass go faster?

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Why not faster? I was told that the photon traveled at the speed of light but it has a very, very small mass that is almost negligible (but still exists). So why wouldn't a smaller mass go faster?
There is more than one sort of mass in relativity, e.g. "invariant mass" and "relativistic mass". Most physicists nowadays mean "invariant mass" when they say "mass". "Relativistic mass" is really just another name for "energy" (divided by c2) and the term is deprecated.

Photons do have relativistic mass (as they have energy) but their invariant mass is always zero.

FAQ: No Mass Objects: Can They Remain Stationary?

1. What are "no mass objects" and how do they differ from regular objects?

"No mass objects" refer to objects that do not have any physical mass, such as light particles or virtual particles. They differ from regular objects in that they do not have a physical form or structure that can be measured or observed in the same way as regular objects.

2. Can "no mass objects" remain stationary?

Yes, "no mass objects" can remain stationary in a specific reference frame. This is because they do not have any physical mass to move or accelerate, so they can remain stationary in relation to a specific observer or reference point.

3. How do "no mass objects" interact with regular objects?

"No mass objects" can interact with regular objects through forces such as electromagnetic interactions. For example, light particles can interact with physical objects and cause them to move, even though the light particles themselves do not have any physical mass.

4. Can "no mass objects" have momentum?

Yes, "no mass objects" can have momentum, even though they do not have any physical mass. This is because momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and "no mass objects" can have motion through interactions with other objects.

5. What are the implications of "no mass objects" for our understanding of physics?

"No mass objects" challenge our understanding of the fundamental principles of physics, such as the conservation of mass and the concept of inertia. They also have important implications for fields such as quantum mechanics and relativity, and are being studied in ongoing research to further our understanding of the universe.