No Optimal Explaining Formally

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary: Suppose we start with 1 boundary condition.For which angles of the line of the boundary condition will there be no feasible solution?And for which angles will the maximum be unbounded? (Wondering)There is no feasible solution for angles less than $\theta_1$, and the maximum is unbounded for all angles. (Recalling)There is no feasible solution for angles less than $\theta_1$, and the maximum is unbounded for all angles.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

There is given the following example of a linear programming problem that has no optimal solution.

View attachment 4813

$$\begin{Bmatrix}
a_{11}x_1+a_{12}x_2 \geq b_1 & \\
a_{21}x_1+a_{22}x_2 \geq b_2 &
\end{Bmatrix} \Leftrightarrow (x_1,x_2) \in D \\ \\ \\ \\ \ \ \max_{(x_1, x_2) \in D} (x_1+x_2)$$

How could we explain formally that there is no optimal solution? (Thinking)

Attachments

• graph5.png
    graph5.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 51
Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

There is given the following example of a linear programming problem that has no optimal solution.

$$\begin{Bmatrix}
a_{11}x_1+a_{12}x_2 \geq b_1 & \\
a_{21}x_1+a_{22}x_2 \geq b_2 &
\end{Bmatrix} \Leftrightarrow (x_1,x_2) \in D \\ \\ \\ \\ \ \ \max_{(x_1, x_2) \in D} (x_1+x_2)$$

How could we explain formally that there is no optimal solution? (Thinking)

Hey evinda! (Smile)

Before we can do that, we need to know more about the $a_{ij}$.
Can we for instance assume that they are non-negative? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

Before we can do that, we need to know more about the $a_{ij}$.
Can we for instance assume that they are non-negative? (Wondering)

It holds that $a_{ij} \in \mathbb{R}, x_i \geq 0, i=1, \dots, n, b_j \geq 0, j=1, \dots, m$.

evinda said:
It holds that $a_{ij} \in \mathbb{R}, x_i \geq 0, i=1, \dots, n, b_j \geq 0, j=1, \dots, m$.

Let's pick $a_{ij} = -1, b_j = 0$ for every $i,j$.
Can you find an optimal solution for it? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Let's pick $a_{ij} = -1, b_j = 0$ for every $i,j$.
Can you find an optimal solution for it? (Wondering)

Then it has to hold that $x_1=x_2=0$ so the maximum is equal to $0$, right?

So under which conditions isn't there an optimal solution, given that we have an unbounded space? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Then it has to hold that $x_1=x_2=0$ so the maximum is equal to $0$, right?

So under which conditions isn't there an optimal solution, given that we have an unbounded space? (Thinking)

Yes. (Nod)

Either when there is no solution at all, or when the solution space is unbounded in the direction of increasing value. (Thinking)

Suppose we start with 1 boundary condition.
For which angles of the line of the boundary condition will there be no feasible solution?
And for which angles will the maximum be unbounded? (Wondering)

Related to No Optimal Explaining Formally

1. What does "No Optimal Explaining Formally" mean?

"No Optimal Explaining Formally" refers to the concept that there may not be a single, definitive explanation for a phenomenon or scientific concept that is considered the best or most accurate. Instead, there may be multiple explanations that are all valid in their own way.

2. How does "No Optimal Explaining Formally" affect scientific research?

This concept challenges the traditional scientific approach of seeking a single, ultimate explanation for a phenomenon. Instead, it encourages scientists to consider multiple perspectives and explanations, leading to a more comprehensive understanding of the topic.

3. Is "No Optimal Explaining Formally" a new concept?

Not necessarily. The idea that there may not be a single, perfect explanation for a scientific concept has been discussed and debated for many years. However, it has gained more attention in recent years as scientists have begun to embrace more diverse and collaborative approaches to research.

4. How can "No Optimal Explaining Formally" be applied in scientific practice?

One way to apply this concept is through the use of integrative or interdisciplinary research, where multiple perspectives and explanations are considered and combined to gain a more complete understanding of a topic. It can also be applied by acknowledging and considering alternative explanations when conducting experiments or analyzing data.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to "No Optimal Explaining Formally"?

Some critics argue that this concept may lead to a lack of clarity and confusion in scientific research, as well as a lack of consensus among scientists. It may also be challenging to determine which explanations are most valid or relevant in a given situation. However, proponents argue that it ultimately leads to a more nuanced and comprehensive understanding of scientific concepts.