No problem! Glad I could help :)

Well, your expression is on the wrong side of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality (and you also left out a square :eek:).Cauchy-Schwarz is:$$|(a \cdot b)|^2 \le (a \cdot a) (b \cdot b)$$For the right side, you want something like$$\left(\frac 1x + \frac 4y + \frac 9z\right)(x+y+z)$$Which a and b would... :wink:Well, I have found the Cauchy-Schwarz solution but the answer turned out to be the same as the AM-GM solution. I have
Saitama

Homework Statement

Let x, y, z be positive real numbers such that ##x+y+z=1##. Determine the minimum value of
[tex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{4}{y}+\frac{9}{z}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Cauchy-Schwarz inequality maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying the Cauchy Schwarz inequality,
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{4}{y}+\frac{9}{z}\right)\leq (1^2+4^2+9^2)\left( \frac{1}{x^2}+\frac{1}{y^2}+\frac{1}{z^2}\right)[/tex]
I don't see how can I solve this.
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2}+\frac{1}{y^2}+\frac{1}{z^2}=\frac{x^2y^2+y^2z^2+z^2x^2}{x^2y^2z^2}[/tex]
##(xy+yz+zx)^2=x^2y^2+y^2z^2+z^2x^2+2xyz(x+y+z)## and ##x+y+z=1##
[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{x^2}+\frac{1}{y^2}+\frac{1}{z^2}=\frac{(xy+yz+zx)^2-2xyz}{x^2y^2z^2}[/tex]
I don't think the above simplification is useful here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Let x, y, z be positive real numbers such that ##x+y+z=1##. Determine the minimum value of
[tex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{4}{y}+\frac{9}{z}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Cauchy-Schwarz inequality maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying the Cauchy Schwarz inequality,
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{4}{y}+\frac{9}{z}\right)\leq (1^2+4^2+9^2)\left( \frac{1}{x^2}+\frac{1}{y^2}+\frac{1}{z^2}\right)[/tex]
I don't see how can I solve this.
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2}+\frac{1}{y^2}+\frac{1}{z^2}=\frac{x^2y^2+y^2z^2+z^2x^2}{x^2y^2z^2}[/tex]
##(xy+yz+zx)^2=x^2y^2+y^2z^2+z^2x^2+2xyz(x+y+z)## and ##x+y+z=1##
[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{x^2}+\frac{1}{y^2}+\frac{1}{z^2}=\frac{(xy+yz+zx)^2-2xyz}{x^2y^2z^2}[/tex]
I don't think the above simplification is useful here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

This problem is easily tackled using calculus. In particular, you can use either (1) the Lagrange multiplier method (the easiest); or (2) solve for z (say) in terms of x and y from the constraint equation, then substitute that expression in place of z in the function you want to minimize---giving you two-variable unconstrained minimization problem.

Ray Vickson said:
This problem is easily tackled using calculus. In particular, you can use either (1) the Lagrange multiplier method (the easiest); or (2) solve for z (say) in terms of x and y from the constraint equation, then substitute that expression in place of z in the function you want to minimize---giving you two-variable unconstrained minimization problem.

I have never done calculus questions involving three variables. Is it not possible to do this without calculus?

Pranav-Arora said:
I have never done calculus questions involving three variables. Is it not possible to do this without calculus?

You can do it using the AM-GM inequality ##\frac{a+b}{2} = \sqrt{ab}## with equality only if ##a=b##.

\begin{aligned}\frac 1 x + \frac 4 y + \frac 9 z &= \left(\frac 1 x + \frac 4 y + \frac 9 z\right)(x+y+z) \\
&= (1+4+9) + ... \\
&\ge (1+4+9) + ... \\
&= (1+4+9) + 2 \sqrt{1 \cdot 4} + 2 \sqrt{1 \cdot 9} + 2 \sqrt{4 \cdot 9}
\end{aligned}

Can you fill in the dots? :wink:

Hi ILS! :smile:

I like Serena said:
You can do it using the AM-GM inequality ##\frac{a+b}{2} = \sqrt{ab}## with equality only if ##a=b##.

\begin{aligned}\frac 1 x + \frac 4 y + \frac 9 z &= \left(\frac 1 x + \frac 4 y + \frac 9 z\right)(x+y+z) \\
&= (1+4+9) + ... \\
&\ge (1+4+9) + ... \\
&= (1+4+9) + 2 \sqrt{1 \cdot 4} + 2 \sqrt{1 \cdot 9} + 2 \sqrt{4 \cdot 9}
\end{aligned}

Can you fill in the dots? :wink:

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{4}{y}+\frac{9}{z}\right)(x+y+z)=14+4\left(\frac{x+z}{y}\right)+9\left(\frac{x+y}{z}\right)+\left(\frac{y+z}{x}\right)[/tex]

I really can't figure out how you brought those surds in the end. I tried applying AM-GM to the expanded expression but that led to me nowhere. :(

Pranav-Arora said:
Hi ILS! :smile:

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{4}{y}+\frac{9}{z}\right)(x+y+z)=14+4\left(\frac{x+z}{y}\right)+9\left(\frac{x+y}{z}\right)+\left(\frac{y+z}{x}\right)[/tex]

I really can't figure out how you brought those surds in the end. I tried applying AM-GM to the expanded expression but that led to me nowhere. :(

Heya. :smile:

Try it for instance with ##\frac y x + 4\frac x y##.

Likes 1 person
I like Serena said:
Heya. :smile:

Try it for instance with ##\frac y x + 4\frac x y##.

Ah, I think I got it.
[tex]\frac{y}{x}+4\frac{x}{y}\geq 2\sqrt{1\cdot 4}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{z}{x}+9\frac{x}{z} \geq 2\sqrt{1\cdot 9}[/tex]
[tex]9\frac{y}{z}+4\frac{z}{y} \geq 2\sqrt{4\cdot 9}[/tex]
I think I can add the inequalities as ##x,y## and ##z## are positive real numbers.
Hence,
[tex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{4}{y}+\frac{9}{z}\geq 36[/tex]

Thanks ILS! :smile:

But how can I do it with Cauchy-Schwarz? I found this problem in a trigonometry book and the author wrote that the problem can be done in one-step using Cauchy-Schwarz. As this is a trigonometry book, the author used trigonometric substitutions to solve the problem but I am curious as to how can I do it using Cauchy-Schwarz. And anyways, I always wanted to learn this inequality because a few questions were asked in my tests and I rarely (or once :-p) had success with them.

Thanks!

Pranav-Arora said:
Ah, I think I got it.
[tex]\frac{y}{x}+4\frac{x}{y}\geq 2\sqrt{1\cdot 4}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{z}{x}+9\frac{x}{z} \geq 2\sqrt{1\cdot 9}[/tex]
[tex]9\frac{y}{z}+4\frac{z}{y} \geq 2\sqrt{4\cdot 9}[/tex]
I think I can add the inequalities as ##x,y## and ##z## are positive real numbers.
Hence,
[tex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{4}{y}+\frac{9}{z}\geq 36[/tex]

Thanks ILS! :smile:

Good! :wink:

But how can I do it with Cauchy-Schwarz? I found this problem in a trigonometry book and the author wrote that the problem can be done in one-step using Cauchy-Schwarz. As this is a trigonometry book, the author used trigonometric substitutions to solve the problem but I am curious as to how can I do it using Cauchy-Schwarz. And anyways, I always wanted to learn this inequality because a few questions were asked in my tests and I rarely (or once :-p) had success with them.

Well, your expression is on the wrong side of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality (and you also left out a square :eek:).

Cauchy-Schwarz is:
$$|(a \cdot b)|^2 \le (a \cdot a) (b \cdot b)$$
For the right side, you want something like
$$\left(\frac 1x + \frac 4y + \frac 9z\right)(x+y+z)$$
Which a and b would fit?

Likes 1 person
I like Serena said:
Well, your expression is on the wrong side of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality (and you also left out a square :eek:).
[strike]Why is it wrong? I think I only forgot to put a 2 in the exponent on LHS of inequality.[/strike] :confused:

EDIT: Got it. Thanks!
Cauchy-Schwarz is:
$$|(a \cdot b)|^2 \le (a \cdot a) (b \cdot b)$$
For the right side, you want something like
$$\left(\frac 1x + \frac 4y + \frac 9z\right)(x+y+z)$$
Which a and b would fit?
If I take a as ##(\sqrt{x},\sqrt{y},\sqrt{z})## and b as ##(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}},\frac{2}{\sqrt{y}},\frac{3}{\sqrt{z}})##, it gives the right answer.

Thank you again ILS!

Related to No problem! Glad I could help :)

What is the concept of finding the minimum value?

The concept of finding the minimum value refers to the process of determining the smallest or lowest value within a given set of numbers or data points.

Why is finding the minimum value important in scientific research?

Finding the minimum value is important in scientific research because it allows researchers to identify the most extreme or significant data points, which can provide valuable insights and help inform conclusions and hypotheses.

What are some common methods for finding the minimum value?

Some common methods for finding the minimum value include visual inspection of data, using mathematical formulas or algorithms, and utilizing computer programs or software designed for data analysis.

Can the minimum value change over time?

Yes, the minimum value can change over time as new data is collected or as variables in the data set change. It is important for scientists to regularly reassess and update their findings to account for any changes in the minimum value.

How can finding the minimum value be applied in different scientific fields?

Finding the minimum value can be applied in various scientific fields, such as biology, chemistry, physics, and economics. It can help identify the most effective treatments, the most stable compounds, the smallest particles, and the most profitable investments, among other applications.