No Such Thing as the Plank Length?

• Thread starter gordonj005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, at the Planck length, general relativity and quantum mechanics merge into a new type of physics.
gordonj005
I've been tossing this one in my head for a while now, and every time I think of it I convince myself that there is no such thing as the Plank Length (i.e. smallest unit of measurement) because of this following situation:

We have two observers, we will consider one of these frames of reference to be stationary and the other traveling at half the speed of light. From the stationary frame of reference, the observer measures the plank length to be 1.616×10^-35 m. Let's assume the stationary observer is very clever and can accuratly measure a plankian distance on the second frame of reference traveling at a sizeable portion of the speed of light. He would measure the plankian length to be 1.399×10^-35 m, a small but noticably smaller length than his. He continues to measure, and each time the speed of the second frame of reference increases until at 0.999999c, the measured plank length is 2.285×10^-38 m. Now all that has to happen for a smaller distance to be measured is for the second frame of reference to bump up its speed a little (disregarding the huge amount of energy needed to do so). Therefore, the plank length can be as small as we like, so what's the point? I know that the plank length is not measured but calculated, but supposing it could be measured, would this not happen? Do we make the plank length immune to length contraction?

It would be great to discuss this

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody said the Planck length (note spelling) was the smallest possible length. And nobody said it was an exact value. It's just an approximate scale, an order of magnitude. It's the length scale at which quantum mechanics and general relativity merge.

The Planck length is where the Compton wavelength of a particle is equal to its gravitational radius: r = ħ/Mc = GM/c2. If you juggle this a bit you get r = √ħG/c3

Also note the crucial point that Bill made: at the Planck scale a new type of physics kicks in. It is (sort of by definition) the length scale at which general relativity (and by extension, special relativity) are no longer necessarily applicable.

Bill_K said:
Nobody said the Planck length (note spelling) was the smallest possible length.

Ok yes, if the Planck length is where general relativity and quantum mechanics are supposed to be unified, wouldn't this mean at relativistic speeds it would appear to be unified at a much smaller scale - and following from that, if the speed is great enough, wouldn't there be no need to have a unification? (since the Planck length is infentesibly small)

Also, if you are interested in Quantum General Relativity (and not strings) Canonical Quantum Gravity (also called Loop Quantum Gravity) derives a fundamental length scale, that is, quantized area, volume, etc... You might find it interesting.

Related to No Such Thing as the Plank Length?

What is the Plank Length?

The Plank Length is the shortest possible length that can exist in the universe. It is named after the physicist Max Planck and is approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters.

Why is there No Such Thing as the Plank Length?

The Plank Length is a theoretical concept and not an actual physical measurement. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, where space and time are thought to be discrete and not continuous. Therefore, it is not possible to measure or observe the Plank Length in the real world.

Can the Plank Length be divided into smaller units?

No, the Plank Length is considered to be the smallest unit of length that can exist in the universe. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, any measurement smaller than the Plank Length would not make physical sense.

How is the Plank Length related to other fundamental constants?

The Plank Length is related to other fundamental constants, such as the speed of light and the gravitational constant, through the Planck units system. This system uses the Plank Length as the unit of length and is used by physicists to simplify calculations and theories in the field of quantum mechanics.

Is there any evidence for the existence of the Plank Length?

There is currently no experimental or observational evidence for the existence of the Plank Length. However, many theories, including string theory and loop quantum gravity, incorporate the Plank Length into their calculations and suggest that it may play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental nature of the universe.