No, the Moon will Not be Pink Tonight

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, the full moon on Tuesday, April 7 will be known as the "pink" supermoon because it will be low in the sky and will have a slightly different appearance than usual.
russ_watters
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
The moon won't be pink tonight.
Sigh.

Here's USA Today:

USAT.jpg

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-full-moon-coming-tuesday-april-7/5115114002/

Here's my local news:
20200407_123513.jpg

In both cases, they describe it properly in the article/report, but I guess they got to have that clickbait/headline grabber. The USA Today cover photo looks like a moon low on the horizon, whereas the one in my local news was a video clip of an eclipse with poor tracking playing behind the narrative.

A "supermoon" is a full moon when the moon is relatively close to perigee (I'm guessing within 24hrs, but it's arbitrary). The "pink" is merely due to the fact that it's April and some flowers bloom in April and some flowers are pink.

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes Dragrath, anorlunda, lomidrevo and 3 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
Yeah, OK but what makes it Pink?? :)) :wink:

Photoshop :wink:

• Haha
Likes Dragrath, MathematicalPhysicist and davenn
gmax137 said:
Yeah, OK but what makes it Pink?? :)) :wink:

lomidrevo said:
Photoshop :wink:

yeah, and or being low in a gungy sky at time of photo

Likes lomidrevo
+ originaly they had the month wrong (for perigee etc. ) (they had announced it for March 9, 2020 ... - read article ...) :
https://www.space.com/biggest-supermoon-2020-super-pink-moon-guide.html

"
Oops! Wrong month...In the 2020 edition of the Observer's Handbook of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada is a notation that the full moon of March 9 was the "largest in 2020."
But that was a mistake. The moon was actually 71 miles (115 km) farther away last month, making the moon appear ever-so-slightly smaller compared to April's full moon. The Handbook is a highly reputable publication; the "Bible" for assiduous skywatchers. That innocent notation that the March full moon was the largest (in apparent size) in 2020 was unfortunately promulgated in many publications.What happened? Space.com asked Patrick Kelly, who compiles "The Sky Month by Month" section for the Handbook, who conceded the error and explained: "I am not sure why I picked March." Kelly added, "I find calling anything a 'supermoon' just leads to disappointment as there is no visible difference. To quote [American philosopher] William James: 'A difference which makes no difference is no difference at all.'"So, while Tuesday's full moon will be the largest one of the year, the variation of themoon's distance from Earth is not readily apparent to observers viewing the moon directly. Or is it? "

Related to No, the Moon will Not be Pink Tonight

1. Why is the moon not pink tonight?

The moon appears to be pink only during a rare phenomenon known as a "pink moon," which occurs when the moon is full and the angle of the sun's rays create a pink hue on the moon's surface. This typically happens in April, but it is not guaranteed to happen every year.

2. Is there any scientific reason for the pink color of the moon?

Yes, the pink color of the moon during a pink moon is due to the scattering of light through the Earth's atmosphere. The angle of the sun's rays causes the light to pass through more of the atmosphere, which filters out the blue light and leaves behind the pink color.

3. Can the moon ever actually appear pink?

Yes, the moon can appear pink during a pink moon or during other rare atmospheric conditions, such as a lunar eclipse. However, it is not a common occurrence and cannot be predicted with certainty.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the color of the moon?

Yes, the color of the moon can also be affected by other atmospheric conditions, such as pollution, dust, and clouds. These factors can alter the way light is scattered and can create different colors or shades on the moon's surface.

5. Will the moon ever be pink in other parts of the world?

Yes, the pink moon phenomenon can occur in other parts of the world, but it may not happen on the same date as it does in other regions. This is because the angle of the sun's rays and the Earth's atmosphere may vary in different locations.

Back