No variation in capacitance with body load in comsol

In summary, the problem is that the device is calculating capacitance using a known capacitor instead of trying to vary it with body load.
Aswathi M
Hi Friends,
I am trying to find variation in capacitance between two plates with applied body load. I defined an air box around the plates. Now I'm trying with electromechanics physics for applying body load and finding capacitance. I defined the two plates as linear elastic material. Applied body load to the moving plate. I applied 1V to moving plate and fixed plate is grounded. I also gave parametric sweep for body load. But capacitance is not varying with body load.
What changes should I make to get a varying capacitance? Please Help.
Thank You,
Aswathi M Madhu

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is this "body load" of which you speak? There are only three things that determine capcitance: dielectric constant of whatever is between the plates, the area of the plates, the distance between the plates. For dimensions in inches the formula is:

C= 0.224*(K*A/D)

C in picoFarads, 10 -12 Farads
K dielectric constant
A plate area in square inches
D thickness of dielectric in inches

Which of the three are you changing?
Since the result will be very small, will it show up in the program output?

Hi,
Body load is the force which deforms the top plate of the capacitor and the bottom plate is fixed. So the changing parameter in my case is the gap between the plates. The device is a MEMS device and the deformation is in nanometers. The end result (capacitance) would be in picofarads which isn't a problem since Comsol can handle such small outputs. My problem is that capacitance is not varying with the varying displacement. I get the same capacitance for different body load (force).

Is that nanometer displacement a small fraction of the nominal distance? If the unloaded distance is in the micron range then a nanometer displacement would change the capacitance by 1 part per thousand, or femtoFarads change hidden in a picoFarads baseline.

Edit: Also if the top plate is a diaphram only the center will deform that much.

Displacement is in nanometers, the gap between the plates is 2um. I tried to get result in fF also, but the value of capacitance remains constant.

Yes, Its a diaphram. So i defined an average operator.

Hmmm... sounds like you're down to a debugging problem.

Two things that come to mind:
Can you add to the simulation a calculated known capacitor in parallel w/ the sensor? Then try different values of the 'known' cap to check the program output.
Have someone doublecheck your existing model to make sure you didn't slip a decimal or get a sign wrong.

I've never used COMSOL so I can't be much help there. Hopefully someone with COMSOL experience will jump in & help.

Thanks a lot for your help

Related to No variation in capacitance with body load in comsol

1. What is capacitance and how does it relate to body load?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is directly related to body load, which is the amount of electrical charge that is transferred to or from a human body when it comes into contact with an object or material.

2. Why is it important to study the variation in capacitance with body load?

Understanding the variation in capacitance with body load is important in many fields, including medical devices, electronics, and safety. It can help predict the behavior of devices when in contact with the human body, and ensure that they meet safety standards.

3. What is COMSOL and how does it measure capacitance?

COMSOL is a multi-physics simulation software that can be used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, including capacitance. It uses finite element analysis to calculate the capacitance of a system based on its geometry and material properties.

4. What factors can affect the capacitance of a system when in contact with the human body?

The capacitance of a system can be affected by various factors, such as the size and shape of the object, the material it is made of, the location and orientation of the body, and the frequency of the applied voltage. These factors can all impact the distribution and amount of charge stored in the system.

5. How can the variation in capacitance with body load be used in practical applications?

The variation in capacitance with body load can be used in practical applications such as designing touch screens, optimizing the performance of medical devices, and ensuring the safety of electronic devices. It can also be used to study the effects of human touch on different materials and optimize their design for various applications.