Noble gases don't react chemically with other substances

In summary: Now, Xenon's first ionization energy is very high, so it's not like you can easily oxidize xenon to get at the xenon atoms. But if you want to react xenon with something else, it's not difficult.
mech-eng
I would like to ask about a question concerning noble gases. "Nobel gases don't react chemically with other substances."

Is this statement about nobles gases completely correct or partially correct?

Thank you

Self made

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ordinarily correct. In extraordinary conditions, compounds can be made, maybe not very stable.

symbolipoint said:
Ordinarily correct. In extraordinary conditions, compounds can be made, maybe not very stable.
Compounds like XeF2 are available commercially and are used as an etching agent in microelectronics. So I wouldn't regard noble gas compounds as a lab curiosity.

Likes Charles Link
symbolipoint said:

If we limit the reaction with other substances, does this not mean that they react with each other, and which would be wrong?

Thank you.

DrDu said:
Compounds like XeF2 are available commercially and are used as an etching agent in microelectronics. So I wouldn't regard noble gas compounds as a lab curiosity.

So being commercially available, does that mean it is stable, or stable enough for some known storage period?

mech-eng said:
If we limit the reaction with other substances, does this not mean that they react with each other, and which would be wrong?

Thank you.
See what Dr.Du said.

mech-eng said:

Thank you.
I think that even compounds with Xe-Xe covalent bonds have been synthesised.

mech-eng said:
I would like to ask about a question concerning noble gases. "Nobel gases don't react chemically with other substances."

Why is this still being taught? It hasn't been true for 55 years. You can buy XeF2 out of a catalog - I just confirmed if I gave them my credit card number, I could have some on my desk by tomorrow. It's only about 3x as expensive as gold, by weight.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why is this still being taught? It hasn't been true for 55 years. You can buy XeF2 out of a catalog - I just confirmed if I gave them my credit card number, I could have some on my desk by tomorrow. It's only about 3x as expensive as gold, by weight.
I generally see it taught as "noble gases are inert under most conditions and only react in special circumstances," or some such qualification. But saying they're unreactive isn't a terrible approximation. Xenon's first ionization energy is comparable to that of O2, which means that oxidizing xenon is about as difficult as oxidizing oxygen. (In fact this was exactly how Neil Bartlett reasoned that xenon might be reactive--his experience with oxygenyl compounds of platinum hexafluoride. (sub-gripe: it's completely beyond me why he never won a Nobel Prize)).

Likes symbolipoint

Related to Noble gases don't react chemically with other substances

1. What are the noble gases?

The noble gases are a group of chemical elements consisting of helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and radon. They are located in the far right column of the periodic table and are known for their low reactivity.

2. Why don't noble gases react chemically with other substances?

Noble gases have a full outer electron shell, making them very stable and unreactive. This means they do not need to gain, lose, or share electrons with other elements to become more stable, unlike most other elements.

3. Can noble gases form compounds?

Although noble gases are generally unreactive, they can form compounds under certain conditions. For example, xenon can form compounds with fluorine and oxygen, but these are very unstable and only exist in laboratory settings.

4. Are noble gases useful in any way?

Yes, noble gases have many practical applications. For example, helium is commonly used in balloons and as a coolant for nuclear reactors, while argon is used as an inert gas in light bulbs and welding. Neon is also used in neon lights and signs.

5. Can noble gases be found in nature?

Yes, noble gases can be found in small amounts in the Earth's atmosphere. However, they are mostly obtained through the process of fractional distillation of liquid air. They can also be found in trace amounts in some minerals and natural gas deposits.