Nodal Analysis - KVL Loop question.

In summary, the student attempted to solve a circuit problem and obtained the node equations but is unsure if their analysis was correct. They also wrote down a KVL for the supernode encompassing everything from v1 to v3.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

I've obtained the node equations that's in the matrix for rows 1, 2, and 4. I got 3 as well but I'm not sure if my analysis was correct.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3151/nodeq.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9803/dsc0010van.jpg

So basically this is from the bottom-left of the circuit.

v1 = -2 + Vx, therefore

Vx = v1 + 2 (I wrote -2 in the drawing by mistake)

So doing KVL: -Vx + 2 + 5io + v2 = 0

=> (-v1 -2) + 2 + v3 + v2 = 0

So, -v1 + v2 + v3 = 0 [which is row 3 of the matrix]

Note that io = v3/5, so 5io is just v3.

Is this correct reasoning?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. Looks to me like you've got a supernode situation since some nodes are directly tied together with voltage sources. Can you identify the boundaries of the supernode? Which nodes are left as independent nodes?

I've done all of that, the supernode encompasses everything from v1 to v3. So I did KCL for that supernode and then KCL at node 4.

I just need to know if I've done the KVL for the loop in the bottom-left hand correctly. My answers all work out to the solutions given, but I just had a funny feeling about the KVL as I was struggling to get it initially because of that 2V source and the direction of it.

NewtonianAlch said:
I've done all of that, the supernode encompasses everything from v1 to v3. So I did KCL for that supernode and then KCL at node 4.

I just need to know if I've done the KVL for the loop in the bottom-left hand correctly. My answers all work out to the solutions given, but I just had a funny feeling about the KVL as I was struggling to get it initially because of that 2V source and the direction of it.

Okay. Well the KVL you wrote looks fine.

Since you know that 5i0 = v3, would it not have been simpler to just write KVL from node v1 to v2 as:

v2 = v1 - v3

and rearrange?

Hmm, you're right! I guess only practice helps recognise things like that easily. Thanks once again.

FAQ: Nodal Analysis - KVL Loop question.

1. What is nodal analysis in electrical circuits?

Nodal analysis, also known as node-voltage analysis, is a method used to solve electrical circuits by determining the voltage at each node in the circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law.

2. How do you apply nodal analysis to a circuit?

To apply nodal analysis, you first need to label each node in the circuit. Then, you write out the KCL equation for each node, setting the sum of incoming currents equal to the sum of outgoing currents. Finally, you can solve the resulting system of equations to find the voltage at each node.

3. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL)?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

4. How do you use KVL to solve circuit problems?

To use KVL to solve circuit problems, you first need to identify all the loops in the circuit. Then, you write out the KVL equation for each loop, setting the sum of voltages equal to zero. Finally, you can solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown voltages in the circuit.

5. Can nodal analysis be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, additional considerations need to be taken into account for AC circuits, such as the use of complex numbers and impedance instead of resistance.